Getting Started
Mar 15, 2009 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kieran Comito

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, I am just starting out with ipods. I have just got the ipod touch. I have a Macbook and have ripped all of my cds into using Apple Lossless format. I have a USB Preamp/DAC (Redwine Audio Isabella) for my main audio system. Can I use Lossless format to send the songs from my MacBook to the Ipod Touch? Does this lesson storage significantly? And finally, how the heck do you use a portable amp with an Ipod, I don't see a line out on it. Does the headphone out work in that capacity? Sorry for the ignorance and thanks in advance for anyone helping me out.

Mar 15, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 3
Yes you can, AppleLossless are fairly big (50-60% smaller than wav as 1 CD holds about 74 minutes of audio thats around 700MBs), each song is about 50 megs :p compared to say 320KB mp3 is around just 5MBs (depends on the length)

You can buy an Line Out Dock (LOD) to bypass the internal DAC, plenty of topics around here :p Or i would imagine just use the 3.5mm jack (which is the same size as the Lineout but yeah u can control the sound volume bit more fiddly to get a good balance)

Mar 16, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 3
the line-out comes out of the bottom of the ipod the docking connector has the audio signal on a couple of pins there. the HP jack is not the same even at full volume the output isnt the same. I wouldnt go lossless on a touch. not enough storage IMO. 320kbs is plenty for portable listening IMO anyway. the bonus of being able to get heaps more music on there more than outweighs the advantage of better audio. of course at home use lossless; but there are few situations while on the move that you would be able to hear the difference.

BTW nice choice on the Isabella I envy you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back