Getting Started...
Oct 2, 2006 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Circle O Willis

New Head-Fier
Alirght, so a friend of mine just opened my eyes to this entire world of high end headphones. Who knew the iBuds actually suck? This was unknown to me. So i'm getting started with the initial purchases (ksc75's on the way) and i got a couple questions.

i'm thinking about either the SR-60's or SR-80's. anyone help fill in the difference between the two and if i should start with one or the other?

Also i'm looking to just start with some quality cans that are around the $100 range, suggestions?

any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 16
I've heard the Alessandro MS1's are better than both of them in that price range. However, you should do some reading on this board for a while before deciding. Also, what are your musical and sound preferences?

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 16
KSC75 is a great start for a portable. The SR60/80 is a great start at home IMHO. They'll show you what the instrument should sound like... live and in-person. Something that everyone should experience IMHO. I prefer the SR80 over the 60 for home use, the 80's bowl pads are better in a home environment when you want to hear all the details and some soundstage. IMHO the SR60 with comfies is better for portable use.

what kinds of music do you listen to? What are you plugging them into ( receiver, ipod, dedicated amp?)

Start with that.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 16
Already looking to upgrade before your first set of real cans come in? Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

My suggestion is to wait for the KSC75 and try them out first. Grados and Koss have a similar sound signature so if you don't like the KSC75 then you might want to try something else.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 16
listen to about everything.....but normal day would be bands along the lines of radiohead, coldplay, breaking benjamin, etc....

at this point i don't really have anything to hook them to except straight from my ipod or computer....but i'm working on fixing that situation.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Already looking to upgrade before your first set of real cans come in? Welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet!
biggrin.gif

My suggestion is to wait for the KSC75 and try them out first. Grados and Koss have a similar sound signature so if you don't like the KSC75 then you might want to try something else.

this is good advice... except the KSC is more bass-bloated than most Grados. So if the OP doesn't like the sometimes excessive bass of the KSC75 a Grado would still be a step in the right direction.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 16
yeah i realize i'm jumping a bit, but at the same time i've already gotten pretty interested and keep reading about all these headphones and just want to start trying em to see what they sound like and what i really like.....reading reviews obviously can only take you so far.

Oct 2, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi

I agree with YamiT that the grados and Koss have similar sound signatures. If you look around via search, you will find references to the KSC-35 being a "mini Grado 225." These are two well regarded headphones from each company. New, about a 170$ difference. The 75's sound (supposedly) quite similar to the 35's. Anyways... getting to my point/$.02...

I had a buddy looking for some good headphones, without spending too terribly much (50$ max). I let him listen to my porta pro 2's, which he didn't really like. (To my knowledge, same driver as the KSC-35/Porta Pro/Sporta Pro). I let him try grado sr-80's, hf-1's (both out of his range), among other things (including older koss ksc-50's). Never was a huge fan.

Along came a great deal through iRiver, in which I got some free Sennheiser PX100's. I let him listen to those (which are quite a bit different from the PortaPro2's), and he loved them. (I didn't get them back for a few hours at work). Within a couple weeks, he had a pair of his own. Wears them so much, he's already had to replace the pads.

I had another buddy, good friend of both of ours. I let him check out the PP2's and PX100's at the same time. He wasn't impressed with the Senns at all, but LOVED the koss cans. He ended up with some RatShack KTX-1's within a couple weeks (again, same driver, IIRC), and really digs them.

So, even in the lower end, its easy to find big differences in sound signatures of different companies and styles. Some like one, some like the other, some like them both (all).

I think this ended up being a sleepy/long winded/anecdotal version of what others have said, and per usual, its past bed time, and I'm all over the place.

Good luck with your audio adventures... and hope that you listen to any super high end gear... its just bad for your wallet... it really is... I'm broke.

**BRENT**

Oct 2, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 16
thanks for the advice, all has been good. i think at this point i've read quite a bit and just need to pick one, listen and begin the journey that is buying/selling cycle that seems to occur.

and i'm already realizing the wallet factor, i've checked the ol' bank account to see how much i can go ahead and "set aside" for this new discovery.

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #11 of 16
i don't know if this makes sense, but i also want something that does a good job at conveying the "emotion" in a song and a singers voice. Also along those same lines, a headphone that can clearly lead you up during a build in the song and then not disappoint when the song breaks.

maybe i'll have to wait till i get to the next tier for something that can effectively meet what i desire, but that's okay, it'll give me something to shoot for.

Oct 2, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Circle O Willis
i don't know if this makes sense, but i also want something that does a good job at conveying the "emotion" in a song and a singers voice. Also along those same lines, a headphone that can clearly lead you up during a build in the song and then not disappoint when the song breaks.

maybe i'll have to wait till i get to the next tier for something that can effectively meet what i desire, but that's okay, it'll give me something to shoot for.

Unfortunately these kinds of things are so subjective that it's next to impossible to equate a certain headphone to this kind of attribute. For example, a lot of people say that a warmer (perhaps tube-driven) sound is the best for female vocals and musicality. However, I've found that a more neutral/slightly colder presentation conveys more musicality and represents female vocals a lot better. It just depends on which sound is for you, but when you hear it you'll know for sure
lambda.gif

The A500s and HD555's are also in your price range.

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 16
I'll recommend starting a wee bit higher with the MS-1. IMHO, they do a fantastic job for their price range.

Welcome to the club, mr. former pedagouge

go med-fi!

Oct 2, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #15 of 16
yeah i've looked a bit at the MS-1's as well. just not sure...however i am sure that by tomorrow at least one new pair will be ordered. (but thanks for the advice former ms-1 (not the cans) tank student who always left early cause his group sucked, i appreciate it).

that's right med-fi, as if the student loans weren't enough, i had to be exposed to head-fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back