Getting started with making cables.
Oct 13, 2005 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Target1

100+ Head-Fier
I am about to enter into the realm of DIY, and I'd like to know what to get in terms of materials, and specifically where to get it. I'm going to start by recabling my SR 225s, and then move on to my HD 580s (I got connectors during the deal last year), and eventually have 2.5 foot cords for each (for semi portable use when having an ipod in my jacket pocket), and 6 foot cables for when at my desk. There's some fantastic walk throughs, and I think I'm fine with that. I'm wondering, what quality stuff should I get, and what quantities. I'd rather make value oriented purchases, so if its better to get 50 feet of someting rather than 10 now and 10 later etc, I think that would be better.

Thanks,

Target

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
If I were you I would start with the HD580's, because if you mess up on the SR225's you're permanently screwed, while with the 580's you can just swap out the cable.

I don't see a problem with the SR225's as a starter projet. The only thing i'd worry about is getting the casing open. The soldering in a Grado can is about as simple as it gets. The soldering pads are huge. Just don't keep your iron on the pad too long. Take your time!

If you get rid of your Grado cable, i'd love to get it from you
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 7
500 ft of 22ga silver plated coper with teflon, check ebay.... i will last you for ages....

braid/twist whatever you want after that.

a fair bit oif techflex, and some heatshrink tooooob.

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 7
after a few cmoys i made some cables and recabled a pair of koss 75s. as easy as the grado recable looks, my suggestion would be to make a few mini to minis or 1/4 inch to mini adapters, or whatever you think you may need. a bit of practice lets you get the iron in and out of there in a snap with less chance of ruining the drivers. you may also want a bit of practice testing the cables with a multimeter.

as for materials, i really liked the wire from ebay and got my techflex, plugs, and heat shrink from partsexpress. however, you may want to try starquad for your recabling and it seems markertek may be the best all in one shopping for cable making. good luck!

let us know how the grados sound after the recable. every time the wires get twisted up with my sr60s i curse and threaten to hack them up on the spot. i never do though because i'm afraid it'll make them even brighter and they'll get their revenge when my ears start bleeding on the subway.
eek.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #6 of 7
try wirecare.com for techflex and heat shrink and markertek for connectors. I used Pacific Radio the first time and they prices are too high AND I got ripped on shipping AND the shipping took forever AND I got no UPS tracking number. I would not recommend Pacific Radio

EDIT: Ditto to also trying some mini to mini's etc. I am going to be recableing some SR-60's but I did a mini 2 RCA as my first one and them some RCA interconnects. I learned A LOT

also DIY cables make GREAT presents. I gave one to my friend for his birthday and he is in love with it. he says, "Wow this looks so cool, I have always wanted something to hook my ipod to my stereo" and when they hear its audiophile quailty?? it makes it 100 times cooler

Oct 14, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for all of the fantastic advice. I will be searching ebay, but probably go with one of the stores recommended here. I'll also be sure to post some thoughts here when I'm done. I'm going to have some help with the soldering, but I'll still start with some interconnects to get the hang of it.

Thanks,

Target

PS, Will this work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back