Getting Started in DIY Audio
Apr 29, 2010 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

BenAdamson

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm a budding audiophile on a tiny budget, and would like to try building my equipment myself before buying into any of the more expensive equipment. I currently have a Sansa Clip+ 4gb with 8gb memory card and a pair of Sennheiser CX500 earphones. I have basic soldering skills and understanding of electronics, resistors, etc. What equipment would you recommend me making to start with?

I also have no idea as to what amps really do - well, I think they amplify the volume but what else?

Could you please link me to some good newb tutorials on getting started and the basic concepts/terminology? Do you have any advice about getting started?

Many thanks in advance,
Ben Adamson

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 30
Getting Started in Audio DIY

How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier

Good reading at tangent's site
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 30
Thanks - will read!

May 1, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 30
Purpose of an amp is not so much to amplify volume (albeit they do do that), but rather to amplify signal strength. Give you a higher quality of sound that's more resistive to noise.

Some people also like that their amps "color" their audio signal (tube amp guys especially). Make the audio more pleasing to listen to in their ears (the sound engineer's mix isn't always preferable, for instance I hate sounds above 15kHz, so I try to attenuate those some as my ears are more sensitive to that frequency).

May 1, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #5 of 30
I'm partway through a stock standard build of the infamous Jaycar amp and I reckon it'd be a perfect project for someone on a budget + starting out. I'm veryh new to DIY also and I found kits to be very helpful. This particular amp has plenty of threads, lots of tweaks/discussions, and is a very straightforward build. It's also dirt cheap! Amp + power + transformer cost me $80 Aus. Another $20 on a case and IEC socket + volume control and you'd be in business with what is reported to be a fantastic amp @ budget prices.

May 1, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mewrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some people also like that their amps "color" their audio signal (tube amp guys especially). .

This is just simply not true.

For the OP if you want to start in DIYaudio read the Millett Max thread, huge support, wonderful uncolored amp that will put you 95% of any amp.

May 1, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the OP if you want to start in DIYaudio read the Millett Max thread, huge support, wonderful uncolored amp that will put you 95% of any amp.

This one http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f149/i...et-max-404959/ ?

May 1, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenAdamson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This one http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f149/i...et-max-404959/ ?

No this one : http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/new...ed-amp-233941/

Also there is a webpage to read (location in the thread). I recommend this based on the huge support, any mistake you might make has been made before.

To my ears the SOHAII is a nice step up but for a first time builder the Millett is the way to go, I'll bet over 50% of those who started DIY built a Millett first. You could start with a cmoy but there is little pay-off and you don't learn much.

May 2, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 30
May 2, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenAdamson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about this -
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sta...-guide-437075/
How could I find the kit/pcb etc for that?

The SSMH kits and pcbs are no longer available because it's now practically impossible to find the 19J6 tube it was designed for. You can still build one without a PCB (point-to-point, like it was originally designed) using one of the mods that use different tubes. See the SSMH thread and the website.

May 2, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #11 of 30
Hmm, I'm not really feeling that adventurous ATM
tongue.gif

May 3, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is just simply not true.

Uhhh, I'm not sure where you're getting all that from. The Millet Max is indeed colored, Pete Millet talks about it himself on the amp's page. Further, tomb, the designer of the MilletMAX, also discusses the audio signature of the Millet tubes on the amp's design page. Also note Ferrari's post on a comparison between the CKKIII and the MilletMAX

Not that this coloration is a bad thing, some people prefer it as I said, its all about preference and the MilletMAX hybrid is a solid choice in amplifiers as well.

May 3, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

comparison between the CKKIII and the MilletMAX

How do you know the CKKiii is not colored?

It sounded a little smooth to me the last time I heard one.

May 3, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know the CKKiii is not colored?

It sounded a little smooth to me the last time I heard one.

CKKIII is colored in my opinion, obviously it has the sound of a solid state amp, plus other characteristics
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not implying that amp's are inferior for this apparent "coloring" of audio though. I'm just saying that no amp is truly 100% accurate to the recording source, and various other amps actually exploit this to help the audio sound better to individual users.

May 3, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Some people also like that their amps "color" their audio signal (tube amp guys especially).

Quote:

CKKIII is colored in my opinion, obviously it has the sound of a solid state amp, plus other characteristics
smily_headphones1.gif

no no, its tubes that color the sound! it cant possibly be the sound of an open loop amp. noooo, its the transisitor VS the triode (or whatever tube they stuck you with when you bought the PCB)

I agree, all amps are colored. The catch is finding the color that works for you which is really a very personal question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back