Getting SR-225's woodied
Jan 22, 2007 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TVaudio

100+ Head-Fier
Thinking about doing this with mine. Anyone regret having this done? Do the majority of you prefer the sound afterwards? What changed?
I am trying to decide whether to do this, or keep saving for quite a while to get RS-1's (if ever).

Thanks for any info

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 14
A woody will cost around $200? The SR225 will grab around $170...Wouldn't it be better to save the extra $100 and buy an RS-1?

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 14
Unless you really like the sound of your SR-225s I would save up for an RS-1. Larry does great work however the sound is not going to change all that much and most people would probably prefer RS-1s to woodied SR-225s. Another thing to keep in mind that if you choose to sell them, you will not get what you will end up paying to have them modded.

Happy Listening!

Jan 23, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 14
I love the sound of the 225's that I have, but also love the wood look.
I wasn't sure if the RS-1's would be worth the difference in price, but judging by the responses they are.
I am waiting on a Millett hybrid to be delivered, so I can't wait to see how the 225's work with this amp.

Thanks

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A woody will cost around $200? The SR225 will grab around $170...Wouldn't it be better to save the extra $100 and buy an RS-1?

I agree, I recently got the pleasure of listening to a pair, my first expression was how much detail they had, (my second was how uncomfy they are...
wink.gif
600smile.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by feh1325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't fret over the woodie look at come to the metal grados

They're heavy as hell and utterly uncomfortable. It occured to me that the SR-325i weight (with either flats or bowls) hurt me almost as much as their insane treble overload.

Go RS-1. You'll never go back. For my first day I was sure I'd sell them and go back to the SR-225, but then my ears exploded and......you'll have to pry these from my cold, dead hands.

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TVaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the sound of the 225's that I have, but also love the wood look.
I wasn't sure if the RS-1's would be worth the difference in price, but judging by the responses they are.
I am waiting on a Millett hybrid to be delivered, so I can't wait to see how the 225's work with this amp.

Thanks

How could a $200 woodie mod on an SR-225 be more worth it than getting a RS-1?

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 14
Someday...

- I'm going to make a custom headband assembly for my SR225s. (a Padded Leather headband with a spring steel core, machined aluminum adjustment rod clamps, and thicker super-hard aluminum rods for the adjustment posts)

- I'm going to recable, not for sound, but to increase the durability of the cable.

- I would like to make my own wood cups out of a light hardwood (maybe bamboo?)

I have no expecatation that any of these things will increase the sound quality of the SR-225s but it would be something that I could be proud of; A DIY, super-deluxe appearance upgrade that no one else would have!

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How could a $200 woodie mod on an SR-225 be more worth it than getting a RS-1?

It wouldn't compare. It was just a matter of cost. I don't know if I will ever be able to but an RS-1. Always something else comes up that needs the cash.
With the wife and 3 kids, there is always something to spend money on.

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TVaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It wouldn't compare. It was just a matter of cost. I don't know if I will ever be able to but an RS-1. Always something else comes up that needs the cash.
With the wife and 3 kids, there is always something to spend money on.

Ahh well apparently the extra $200 for woodied 225's would be too much for you?

Hey, you could always DIY...

Jan 23, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- I'm going to recable, not for sound, but to increase the durability of the cable.

You feel that the SR225 cable is flimsy? If it's anything like the SR60 cable, it's much thicker than that of any of the cans I've owned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back