Getting Sound Blaster Audigy SPDIF to output to Stello DAC100...no light?
Sep 28, 2011 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

therumdiaries

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have been using USB to send music to my Stello DAC100 (with great success) for the past few years but want to switch over to s/pdif optical cable. I have a Dell computer (Studio 8100) with a Sound Blaster Audigy sound card that appears to be arranged specifically for the Dell.

Where I am now...
  1. Audigy has a s/pdif port
  2. All software is fully updated
  3. I have the cable
  4. It fits into both the computer and the DAC
  5. In Windows Sounds - I've set the Sound Blaster S/Pdif to be the default device.
  6. When I play music the animated levels bars indicate that the music is being sent through the spdif channel (and the USB no longer works on the DAC, which is right)
... but no sound - or light through the spdif cable for that matter and the DAC doesn't show a light indicating that it has a 'lock' on the spdif signal.

Not sure what to try next, any suggestions would be welcome.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #2 of 6
Maybe it's one of the models that provide electric, not optical, digital output. That would mean using a jack to RCA cable, and the coaxial input of the Stello. Or, you could try the USB input--it's better than SPDIF if the implementation is done right.

Sep 28, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 6
! Right, thanks. I will have a look into it (don't take that literally). Rightly or wrongly, I'd assumed that since it has the optical toslink (JIS F05) connector that it was outputting light...

I'll go and educate myself and come back with results. I need a run of more than 5m in my current setup so I was hoping that the optical might do the trick, I believe it would be better not to stretch the USB to 8m. Thanks

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 6
Quick closure to this thread...

Went back to first principles and look up the exact Audigy card I had and see what the specs were and match those to the specs for the Stello DAC. I pulled the cover off the Dell to get the card details and saw that the spdif connection was part of the motherboard!?... and found a second spdif connection I'd missed the first time around. (feel stupid)

So for anyone interested - Audigy sound cards with s/pdif capability (emit light and) can be connected with ease to a Stello DAC100 via optical fibre. It's literally as easy as the USB method and for me sounds fine/equally good so far.

Cheers Modo for your help - drove me to look a little closer!

Oct 2, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 6
Must say I'm delighted with it. This is the first system I put together - five years ago there weren't many appropriate options for getting music from your computer to your speakers but the Stello fit the bill, it wasn't ludicrously expensive, sound is great, up-sampler is never off to be honest and I found a few good reviews to back up the purchase before I jumped in. I haven't even thought once about replacing it.

I built my system on the basis of 2/3 of the budget on the speakers and 1/3 on the electrics. I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 640A amp, the Stello and Rega R7 speakers. Both the amp and DAC are well built, work seamlessly and I have to say I LOVE the sound from the Rega's. I never saw much hype about Rega speakers on-line but they were up against B&W, Dali Ikon 7's and Kef's in terms of what I could afford and find in hi-fi shops in Sydney where I was living at the time. When I heard the Rega speakers I was instantly smitten. I think the Dali Ikon 7's would have been my next favourite sound but found the timing of the Regas just right - really felt as though the music was effortlessly materialising in the air around the Regas, where-as I always felt I was listening to the sounds 'coming out of' the Dali. Not sure if that makes much sense but felt like quite an accurate description when sitting in front of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back