Getting some white noise from my reciever.
Nov 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GabeyGabe

New Head-Fier
 The other day my friend sold me his Sennheiser hd 555 headphones, and I was very excited, these being my first real "Audiophile" grade phones. I plugged them into my Luxman R-104 receiver and before even turning the volume up, I noticed that a very loud white noise coming through. I turned turned the speakers on, and they didn't produce the white noise. I plugged in my 525s and the white noise was still there. It had never happened before, so I was, and still am worried that something substantial might be wrong. Has anyone had a common problem? Did you figure it out? If so how?

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 7
Try the headphones with an iPod or other portable device and report back with your findings.  If the sound is not present then the headphone amp stage on your receiver may be bad.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Both headphones work fine with an ipod, laptop, or anything besides my amp. I will test it with a different amp when I get home from school.

You tested two different headphones on your amp, iPod, and laptop, and only the amp is noisy?

While it's not an absolute, scientific certainty, I'd blame the amp.

Nov 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 7
Could be the headphone output is designed for high impedence output, the 555's are a little low at only 50hm and likely high sensitivity.  I'm not an expert on the subject of the why but here's some interesting info:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572819/power-headphones-with-reciever

My guess is that if you had available a high impedence headphone AKG k340, HD650, it'll be a lot quieter/silent.

Could also be something wrong inside but I'd rather doubt it.

Nov 8, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 7
You could probably find a high to low impedance transformer adapter at a Radioshack if you have one near by.  Just make sure you let them know that you want to try something that goes from a high impedance amp to a low impedance headphone.  That may help, but I still suspect something with the output stage of the headphone amp.

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks to all of you for the input. I know for sure that it is the amp specifically. I have tested both headphones on my Ipod, computer, laptop, and a second amplifier we have set up in our living room. That being said I will go to radioshack next chance I get. I really have a feeling its an internal issue with the amp, because the headphones sound fine (they do produce sound). Another thing worth mentioning is that the white noise stays at a constant level, so when I turn the volume up, it stays at the same volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back