Getting rid of beats by dre, need new cans $150-$400
Mar 12, 2012 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

leonx

New Head-Fier
hi all,

after some reading here im getting rid of my beats studios (purchased at 1/3 retail price so they were worth it for the period i used them for) and looking for a new set that looks good as well as performs well. i listen to many genres of music (orchestra/classical, hip-hop, pop, pop-rock, rock, indie, chillout, electronic/house, jazz) and a big film fan of all genres. looking for something very balanced, natural but wouldnt mind extra bit of bass (as i did have beats :p), and something that reproduces cinema likeness sound for movies. so yeah, the beats studios were disappointing in the balance department, thought i could get used to it but just couldnt, went back to my hd212pros every now and then cause the bass got so annoying at times.

price range is pretty flexible, if theres an extremely awesome, balanced pair at $150 id be happy to take it, something that would absolutely give me an eargasm at $400 im fine with that too. currently looking at the sennheiser hd598. im a noob but i think i know/appreciate what good sound sounds like so was a mistake on the studios, should have seen all the warnings.

thanks in advance!

Mar 12, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 8
based on this

Quote:
i listen to many genres of music (orchestra/classical, hip-hop, pop, pop-rock, rock, indie, chillout, electronic/house, jazz) and a big film fan of all genres. looking for something very balanced, natural but wouldnt mind extra bit of bass

I personally haven't heard these headphones before, just giving you a quick response to research.
Check out the Denon AH-D2000 ($300) or the Denon AH-D5000 ($500). Both praised on these forums. Heard they leak sound a bit, if that's an issue.

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 8
thanks for replies.

the denon ah-d2000 does sound good indeed, i have a audio shop here (perth, australia) that also stocks beyersdynamic, audio technica, akg, shures and sennheiser. any other brands comes close or even in level?

Mar 13, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 8
hm...maybe i should lower my price point, all the sub $400 cans require amps for best sound quality? dunno if im that dedicated yet, unless amps are cheap cheap. need something thats slightly portable as well so looking at the audio technia ath-esw9 at the moment.

Mar 13, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 8
I'd say the new Philips L1 if you also want portable. Both excellent sound quality and portability & design. It's got a slight/medium bass boost and overall a bit on the warmer side of neutral.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 8
so i went to the shop and tried out a few pairs today. ones i tried: beyerdynamic dt250, akg k242hd, audio-technica ath-esw9 and akg k550, sennheiser hd25-1-ll. these brands are their general offerings but for my specification (a bit more bass) i was told i wouldnt need to look much more in sennheiser.

i found
beyers: ugly, crisp? very loud mids? good bass.
akg k242hd: nice looking, not sure about the band, too big for sometimes wanting portability, nice all around. compared to the others is very, not sure how to explain, distant? vocals were distant.
audio-technica: best looks/portability, bass seemed slightly too strong but mids and highs were defined/clear? but not as defined as the rest of the offerings.
akg k550: i like looks but bass slightly light, but i thought the best sounding out of these i tried.
hd25-1-ll: just not comfortable, sounded good but didnt look too good to me.

favouring the akg k550, if only it had just a tad more bass. i like how you can hear all the details on the k242hd but im thinking i prefer more of a closed design sound. maybe a suggestion could change my mind?

any other suggestions?
these are the guys im looking at: http://headphones.com.au/
i would like to buy locally as i would be able to test them out extensively as well, they are extremely well priced for aussies like me. so dont wanna test and turn my back on them and goto ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back