Getting ready to upgrade, reccomendations?
Jul 26, 2017 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bobbythunder

New Head-Fier
So my current setup is the jds labs objective 2 amp and dac. Also have some m50s. I've had this setup for about 3 years now and lately I've been getting the itch to upgrade my cans. The m50s have been great to me but lately they've just been sounding so thin and forward to me. My budget I've set for myself is $1000. I was looking at the lcd 2s and have read great things. I've never had the opportunity to demo any high end headphones so I'm also curious on just how big of a jump in terms of audio quality I'm going to hear. I have my heart set on the lcd 2s but I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys so I will consider other options. Any advice is awesome and really appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 8
The LCD-2 is a great sounding can with lush and warm sound, but the comfort is not the best, and there's plenty of sound leakage due to the openness.

If you want a closed can with great comfort and excellent sound, consider the MrSpeakers AEON, but the sound signature is more on the neutral and accurate side so you may find the bass lacking if you're accustomed to the M50s.

The Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO is another headphone worth considering, it has very punchy, textured bass and excellent detail retrieval. I found the treble to be a bit sibilant but your experience may vary. The comfort and build quality of these headphone are phenomenal as well, truly a German beauty.

The Sennheiser HD600 and HD650 are 2 other great option, they're quite a bit under your budget, but their performance aren't any less than those thousand-dollar flagship when paired with a good amp. On top of that, these 2 headphones are wide considered THE REFERENCE due to their excellent tonal balance, with the HD600 being the king of neutrality and the HD650 being slight warm. I once auditioned the DT1990 PRO and the HD650 side by side, and while the 1990 has better resolution and larger soundstage, the HD650 just sound right to me with it's incredible balance, smoothness and transparency.

Jul 26, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 8
So my current setup is the jds labs objective 2 amp and dac. Also have some m50s. I've had this setup for about 3 years now and lately I've been getting the itch to upgrade my cans. The m50s have been great to me but lately they've just been sounding so thin and forward to me. My budget I've set for myself is $1000. I was looking at the lcd 2s and have read great things. I've never had the opportunity to demo any high end headphones so I'm also curious on just how big of a jump in terms of audio quality I'm going to hear. I have my heart set on the lcd 2s but I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys so I will consider other options. Any advice is awesome and really appreciated. Thanks

Are you looking for an open or closed headphone? Also, what type of music do you listen to? Is there anything in a sound signature that you want specifically? Bass, highs, mids, soundstage, instrument separation, etc.?

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 8
I just want something that's going to completely blow my mind in that price range. I do want open back headphones, something warm and versatile. I listen to just about everything. From patsy cline to miles davis to Metallica. I want something that doesn't sound as sterile as my m50s do.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 8
A warm and versatile open-back headphone, sounds like the Focal Elear.

I don't have personal experience with it, but I've heard many reviewers stating that the sound is extreme dynamic, impactful and punchy.

It has a dip in 7k and some people find it sub-par with female vocal but others aren't bother. The only way to find out is to audition them yourself.

By the way, buying a 1000 dollar can without auditioning them is kind of risky because everyone hears differently and you may find your experience not aligned with reviewers or other people's impression. If you can't find the specific headphones you're looking for, try finding something that has similar sound signature to it to find out if you like that kind of sound. For instance, the Elear is describe as "HD650 on steroid" by many (although there's still quite a lot of people disagree).

In addition to that, I strongly suggest you to listen to HD600 and HD650. Even those are quite a bit under your budget, they're still some of the best headphones under a grand.

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 8
If you plane to get LCD2 ,, grab the Aluminum vesion from adorama.com when they have promo ,
you will get it for 700$ new and save some money to upgrade your amp .. btw it is a nice headphone.

A good alternative is the M1060 ,, very versatile headphone ,, close to Audeze performance but less worm ,,
although it lack build quality compare to the LCD which built like a tank ..

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Boy, with a budget of $1000, I'd highly suggest you consider researching the ZMF Atticus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back