Getting older, how you do guys (and gals) deal with it?
Apr 20, 2005 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 163

Kirosia

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm just wondering. I'm still pretty much a kid myself, and the thought of gettin older just scares the crap out of me. I know, fine wine, ages comes wisdom, yada yada yada. What I want to know is how some of old-timers deal(t) with it. Any interesting stories or non-cliche words from experience? Is your life better now than it was when you were a tike?

Apr 20, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 163
I find that getting drunk helps on occasion.
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 163
Quote:

I find that getting drunk helps on occasion.

said occasions becoming more frequent as the age increases
very_evil_smiley.gif

I actually feel very little change either mentally or physical between now and my early twenties so either I was in REAL bad shape then or in pretty good shape now.

I can't make the call because I can't seem to remember what the question was.

What ?

you say something ?

wink.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 163
Getting drunk alot. No, life sucks now. I liked being 10-years old infinitely more that being 40-years old. Which looks happier to you at a glance? 10-year olds running around a yard, or the 45-year old sitting in traffic on the way home from work? The puppy or the junk yard dog chained to a rusting fence? The reason being that the longer you live, the more time you've spent being ****ed over by your friends and fellow man. "That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger", so they say. I say it makes you stronger, too, but I say it's a strength borne of bitterness. Another brick in the wall, in Head-fi lingo. Experience is the great leveler of men. Yes, "life is suffering". Unless of course you're rich, then you only have to wrap yourself in a cocoon of comfort and only worry about things like "creative fulfillment" and "finding oneself". But, in the end, I think they also wind up sipping a little bourbon while they read John Updike. And, unless, of course, you're dumb or slightly mad in which case it won't bother you as much.

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 163
Quote:

Unless of course your rich

Heh

I wouldn't know how to act
wink.gif

I can give lessons on impoverished though or better yet spin a tale of woe so good it would have not only everyone in tears but sending loot to the "save rick' fund
very_evil_smiley.gif

Of course if I gave a legit address methinks there would be some "other" things showing up in the mailbox along with the possible loot,things that have nothing in common scent wise with perfume
blink.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 163
From a 45 year old perspective:

Getting older is only what you make of it. I realized long ago that one day I will die, period. I don't know when or where, but I'm 100% sure it will happen. That being said, I never had a fear of getting older.

I'm currently in what I believe to be the longest stage of my life - the working stage. I was in school for 18 years, and I've now been working for over 20, and based on my lack of retirement funds, I will be working to my grave. What I get stressed over has changed. It was girls and schoolwork as a kid, now it's money. But again, there are stresses all through life, so getting older doesn't change anything.

The only frustrating part about getting older is the body telling me to f-off. I work out every day, so I'm in "decent" shape. But, no matter, the eyesite is starting to deteriorate, the knees aren't so good, I have asthma and gout, and with any sort of exertion, my body "feels" it the next day. But I will fight my body to the end.

At 20 (just for example), it's impossible to foresee your future, so if you have a fear of the unknown, that may be a reason to be scared about getting older. But, you also have no idea what wonderful experiences you have yet to live. For me, getting married, having kids, watching them grow up, buying neat toys, travelling, etc - why be scared of growing old at 20 with some knowledge that there are a lot of great things such as the things I've expereienced to look forward to, even though at 20 you have no idea what they are.

I take each day in stride. This may sound a little wacked, but I've always considered life one big game, and I'm a willing player. I know the ground rules - I live on earth, I was born, I will die. Everything else is up to me. I'm part of the rat race like most of us are. I wish I had found another way, but alas I ended up being a typical working person to make money to buy things. No cash winfalls, no inventions to make me rich quick - just the basic 9 to 5 work hard ethic.

In hindsight, I say don't be scared. Enjoy each day. In truth, you have no idea how many tomorrows there are.

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 163
nice.

Inspired by MetalManCPA's warmer thoughts than my own, let me add my 2-year od son is the only thing which now gives me joy. I'm glad I waited until my 40s to have a child, since it's turning out to be the time I need it most.

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
Getting drunk alot. No life sucks now. I liked being 10-years old infinitely more that being 40-years old. The reason being that the longer you live, the more time you've spent being ****ed over by your friends and fellow man and the bitterer you become. Sad, but true. Unless of course you're rich, then you wrap yourself in a cocoon of comfort and only worry about things like "creative fulfillment" and "finding oneself". But, in the end, I think they also wind up sipping a little bourbon while they read John Updike.

If you have been tossed around and got a few bruises in your life, bitterness is indeed easily the black dog following you everywhere. The other side of that coin is the life experience. As far as I am concerned, it is easier to be 40 than 20: You relate easier and more and can fall back on experience. Somehow, I have the feeling most people, my self included, tend to overlook and underestimate their know-how knowledgebase and I-have-seen-it-before encyclopaedia. Most of us just seem to have such a hurry through life and thereby missing opportunities to draw conclusions based on previous experience, and, choose a direction based on that.

Counsellor talks again he?
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I'm just wondering. I'm still pretty much a kid myself, and the thought of gettin older just scares the crap out of me. I know, fine wine, ages comes wisdom, yada yada yada. What I want to know is how some of old-timers deal(t) with it. Any interesting stories or non-cliche words from experience? Is your life better now than it was when you were a tike?

Its great. When you reach your late 20s to early 30s you'll be at your physical peak, and at that point life's lessons will allow you to have a deeper perspective on things. It'll be different, but still a lot of fun.

Its best to enjoy each phase of life for what it is. No second chances, unless you're Buddhist.

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #12 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Getting old isn't so bad. I can do some things now at 51 that I couldn't do at 21. For example, 30 years ago I could never get aroused by a 50 year old woman.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good one!

I would rather deal with getting older than deal with death.
wink.gif

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 163
Just turned the corner on 30, and I can't say I feel any difference from a mental standpoint. To me, age will always be just a number, with no tangible meaning. Physically, I finally started to make an effort to get into some assemblance of shape, so I'm feeling better overall than I ever have. No greys on my head yet, either
biggrin.gif

Forget your age, it doesn't matter, until you really become old enough to realize the grim reaper is nipping at your heals.

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #14 of 163
I'm 40. Here's my advice:

- Commit yourself to a life-long relationship and spend a lot of time thinking about that other person's happiness instead of your own
- Have some kids and do more of the same
- Work hard, dream big, learn always
- Be ethical, responsible and accountable for your actions
- Take control of the environment around you and shape it so that it brings harmony and comfort
- Practice controlling your thoughts--figuring out reasons why you can and should do things rather than reasons you can't or won't.
- Take care of your body: daily exercise, avoidance of all things which weaken and destroy your health along with your ability to think clearly and avoid depression
- Avoid accumulating debt, always live within your means

-coma

Apr 20, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #15 of 163
When I was 18, I left for the Naval Academy. My life transformed overnight from a carefree youth to a responsibility rich adulthood. I remember thinking of every leave period as a countdown until adulthood and the impossibility of ever just "being a kid" again.

However, as I got more accostomed to the young adult lifestyle, I started to realize that even though the way I did things changed, I was still doing the same type of stuff I used to do when I was younger.

When I was a kid I used to play basketball at recess and after school. Now, my coworkers and I play basketball at lunch and after work. When I was a kid, I hated sitting through the boring parts of class. Now, I hate sitting through the boring parts at work. In the past I would play video games all night, now I play video games all night.

The only real difference between childhood and adulthood is the responsibility for your own happiness. The same crappy stuff was happening in the world when we were kids, we were just too young to realize it. Adults who have been beat down by the harsh reality of the world shouldn't be the blueprint by which you base your percieved inescapable fate.

I know you hate cliches, but it is the god-honest truth that you are only as old as you feel. Circumstances may change, but as long as you maintain your identity its just same crap, different age.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back