Getting offered a used Sennheiser HD570
Mar 17, 2012 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Extra

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, my friend is offering a lightly used Sennheiser HD570 for $60 to me. I heard they have a pronounced treble which I actually enjoy, but after looking around, I can't really find anything on pricing. Are they a good deal at that price, or should I skip over it?

Oh, and this don't suggest anything else like them to me, I'm just wondering if this is a good deal.

Mar 18, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 10
Hi, the hd570 is a discontinued headphone, and I  guess from many years.
60$ is exactly the same price amazon is selling them as used.
Try them, if you like them , take them.
Don't worry about the "true value" of sound, because what you like is what matters.
There's countless example of people unhappy with the hd800 treble, and they are not exactly cheap.
Forget price tag, listen to your hd570.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 10
Well, since I had the day off from school, I decided to pick the HD 570's up. These are my first good quality over-ear headphone, and I'm honestly amazed. The treble is simply fantastic! I'm hearing high notes that I didn't even think existed. My other quality headphones are V-moda M-80's, and it feels like the highs are so recessed on the M-80's that I can barely listen to them. I just listened to Adam's Song by Blink-182, which probably isn't the kind of music that Sennheiser thought would be playing through these, but it was amazing.

Everything else is also great, especially comfort. The HD570's are one of the few over-ear's that are comfortable for me. My ear is usually irritated by having it being touched by whatever is in front of the driver (cloth, plastic) but there's no problem here. So glad I decided to go for these. Thank you extrabigmehdi for the encouraging words!

EDIT: Also, I'm driving these with a Schiit Asgard.

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 10
I own a pair of HD570s, and I love their comfort. While I'm more drawn to the sound of my Shure SRH-940s for any critical listening, I find the HD570 sound perfectly  good anytime I just want to tune out, and their amazing comfort makes it easy to do exactly that. These are my go-to headphones any time I want to watch a movie or play video games without disturbing my better half, or when I want to listen to background music while doing work.

I've found that amping improves sound quality, but it's not strictly necessary. I've listened to them out of an iphone 4 and the result is passible. I also regularly listen to them out of the headphone jack on a Samsung LCD TV, and the bass starts to get a little sluggish, but as long as I'm not watching a movie with an artillery barrage or something similar (i.e. deep thudding bass), I don't notice much.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 10
I own a pair, and like my previous 2 pairs of Senns, they begin to fall apart. Cords,connections, shoddy internal wiring..and of course the insulation foam and foam grills disintegrate depending on model over time.

My 570's are about to be the third pair that will get tossed.

That being said, they are comfortable and sound good for under $100..

I would never spend big bucks on Sennheisers considering the poor workmanship I've seen on their middle models.

Meanwhile, my 25 and 32 year old Stax cans have not aged a bit and never needed a single part replaced. 

Feb 20, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #8 of 10
Sorry about resurrecting an old post, but there isn't much information out there about the HD570 because it was discontinued back in 1999.  I remember, because I bought the last pair that was used as a display model from Circuit City (remember them?) on the way to college.  List price was $150, I paid $110 I think.  Best money ever spent, as I hated my roommates for the next 2 years and these headphones really saved me. 

And when I finally discovered trance with Hybrid - Finished Symphony, I put that song on repeat for 8 hours and laid on my bed, searching for every nuance of the song and feeling like there was so much more to discover.  I have such fond memories with my pair of HD570, when the earpads disintegrated I couldn't bear throwing them away.  Ebay now sells replacement earpads for $8, which come with double sided tape. For $8, I will always keep replacing them until the speakers finally give out. 

I'm not sure if it's the nostalgia, but I still love the sound characteristics of the HD570.  I have a HD598 as well, which is considered better in every aspect.  But for some reason, when I listen to progressive trance or classical, I prefer the HD570.  It feels open and almost cold-like, but it's like 'm sitting in the middle of a concert hall, and I can almost look at the 1st chair violinist doing the solo, then look over at the cello section and just imagine their hands moving so quickly.  I don't get that image with the HD598, which has a much warmer sound, and does pretty much everything else better - gaming, rock, anything with a bass, movies, etc.  

I see headphones as something like Scotch.  Every single malt has its own characteristic,and different people prefer different tastes.  The HD570 may not have the best reviews online or a big fan base, but it's done more for my listening enjoyment and quality of life that no other headphone will ever come close. And its unique characteristics will likely never be duplicated again. 

Other pairs I've used - HD428, Beats Mixr, M30x

edit:  The HD570's full model name is HD570 Symphony.  Probably gives a clue to its intended use :)

Feb 20, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 10
  Sorry about resurrecting an old post, but there isn't much information out there about the HD570 because it was discontinued back in 1999.  I remember, because I bought the last pair that was used as a display model from Circuit City (remember them?) on the way to college.  List price was $150, I paid $110 I think.  Best money ever spent, as I hated my roommates for the next 2 years and these headphones really saved me. 

And when I finally discovered trance with Hybrid - Finished Symphony, I put that song on repeat for 8 hours and laid on my bed, searching for every nuance of the song and feeling like there was so much more to discover.  I have such fond memories with my pair of HD570, when the earpads disintegrated I couldn't bear throwing them away.  Ebay now sells replacement earpads for $8, which come with double sided tape. For $8, I will always keep replacing them until the speakers finally give out. 

I'm not sure if it's the nostalgia, but I still love the sound characteristics of the HD570.  I have a HD598 as well, which is considered better in every aspect.  But for some reason, when I listen to progressive trance or classical, I prefer the HD570.  It feels open and almost cold-like, but it's like 'm sitting in the middle of a concert hall, and I can almost look at the 1st chair violinist doing the solo, then look over at the cello section and just imagine their hands moving so quickly.  I don't get that image with the HD598, which has a much warmer sound, and does pretty much everything else better - gaming, rock, anything with a bass, movies, etc.  

I see headphones as something like Scotch.  Every single malt has its own characteristic,and different people prefer different tastes.  The HD570 may not have the best reviews online or a big fan base, but it's done more for my listening enjoyment and quality of life that no other headphone will ever come close. And its unique characteristics will likely never be duplicated again. 

Everyone has their own unique preferences--it's a lot of what makes the hobby interesting and fun.

Mar 30, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 10

edit:  The HD570's full model name is HD570 Symphony.  Probably gives a clue to its intended use :)

Our experiences seem very similar. I just dug mine out a couple days ago to be used with my new LG V10 and they really shine with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back