Getting new pair of headphones after 5 years. Advice?
Mar 11, 2019 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pesors

New Head-Fier
I used to browse these fourms a lot when I was looking for a new pair of headphones. Lots of searching led me to the philips fidelio X2. It was comfortable, reasonably cheap and sounded great. Unfortuantly they just pooped out. I was thinking about just buying a replacement pair but thought I bet there are a lot more new headphones then there were 5 years ago. So thats why I’m here. What I’m looking for in a new pair of headphones would be good comfort (I have big ears lol), A good sound signature. (I listen mostly to Trance/Hardstyle but basically listen to almost every genre so something good on the bass but also well rounded would be nice) and decently priced. (No 3000$ headphone with a 2000$ amp) Also its not nessesary but if it sounded nice on a smartphone that would be a bonus as well. Hopefully my search wont take that long. TIA.

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 14
I personally for you would recommend the semi-open ZMF Ori. It has outstanding bass, which will be much higher quality than that on your X2, and is nicely balanced otherwise. I have emailed Zach at ZMF for you to ask him about portable amps he likes for the Ori, because I( have never tried to pair a portable with an Ori before. I will hear from him tomorrow. Will post as soon as I hear back.

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 14
Another to check out is the Massdrop Fostex TR-X00’s they also bring the bass.

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 14
Yes, if bass is what you're looking for, look no further than one of the Fostex headphones. I had the Fostex TH-X00 Purple Heart and it had the type of bass (quality and quantity) for electronic music. But unlike most headphones with great bass, the TH-X00 Purple Heart also had good mid's and (imo) well balanced/non fatiguing high frequencies.

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 14
if you want a good sound headphone that is driveable via phone, look to Mrspeakers Aeon closed. Hifiman sundara is good if you want open headset, but beware of quality issue.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 14
if you want a good sound headphone that is driveable via phone, look to Mrspeakers Aeon closed. Hifiman sundara is good if you want open headset, but beware of quality issue.
AFC is notoriously hard to drive is what I have heard. Not the volume but quality wise, since it needs a lot of power to drive. It really needs a good amp; that can supply lots of current. Curious on your take, as this is the only reason why I did not pull the plug on AFC.

My recommendations is used LCD2c(Audeze warranty is transferable; for relaxed listening) and get a portable amp with sufficient power. At above 500$ mark or even lower you really need an amp, yes there is a night and day difference. I have learned this the hard way. Elegia is easily drivable if you want to use phone, but I dont think it is to everyones taste.
Other mentions include Elex, AFC etc.. ZMF Ori should be good I agree, but I have not heard those.

But to be honest, get an HD 6xx used and a good tube amp also used, that can gel with it (400$). Then in a bit get something like the LCD2 and another SS amp (600-650$). So you have two different sounding headphones.That should hit you right at 1000$. Now in another 6 months, you will have a clear idea on what you want. Then you can sell all these without loosing a lot of money and buy new stuff based on relative comparisons.
If you buy stuff new, you tend to loose a lot of money when you sell them, more on anything that is not massdrop made :D

For amps look at Fiio Q5, XDSD, iFi micro Black label, massdrop CTH, Liquid carbon, burson play/fun, LD MK3, Audio gd if you want entry level ones. Again amp depends on the hps you choose.

If you have more money to spare, do this on a bit higher hps.. Basically buy two differently tuned hps and complimenting amps. Just my 2cents. I am just doing this exercise now.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 14
AFC is notoriously hard to drive is what I have heard. Not the volume but quality wise, since it needs a lot of power to drive. It really needs a good amp; that can supply lots of current. Curious on your take, as this is the only reason why I did not pull the plug on AFC.

My recommendations is used LCD2c(Audeze warranty is transferable; for relaxed listening) and get a portable amp with sufficient power. At above 500$ mark or even lower you really need an amp, yes there is a night and day difference. I have learned this the hard way. Elegia is easily drivable if you want to use phone, but I dont think it is to everyones taste.
Other mentions include Elex, AFC etc..

But to be honest, get an HD 600 used and a good tube amp also used, that can gel with it (400$). Then in a bit get something like the LCD2 and another SS amp (600-650$). So you have two different sounding headphones.That should hit you right at 1000$. Now in another 6 months, you will have a clear idea on what you want. Then you can sell all these without loosing a lot of money and buy new stuff based on relative comparisons.
If you buy stuff new, you tend to loose a lot of money when you sell them, more on anything that is not massdrop made :D

For amps look at Fiio Q5, XDSD, iFi micro Black label, massdrop CTH, Liquid carbon, burson play, LD MK3, Audio gd if you want entry level ones. Again amp depends on the hps you choose.

If you have more money to spare, do this on a bit higher hps.. Basically buy two differently tuned hps and complimenting amps. Just my 2cents. I am just doing this exercise now.

To be honest, I never gotten the AEON, because I love my Ether C, to my ears the Ether C was perfect. I read plenty of review, people drive it straight from phones and were satisfied with it. I wouldn't dismissed this claim as Dan Clark is a wonderful and revolutionary inventor of headphones. I had a lot of headphone, and I just keep coming back to Mrspeaker product, I'm not trying to advertise his stuff but it works, from his Mad Dog line all the way to Ether C, I never had a complaint, the quality is top notch, the sound is awesome and the comfort is up there (I'm not saying its Sennheiser comfort but for its weight, I can wear it for hours).

I suggest a Used pair of AFC, play with it, if you need more amping, you can always buy it with the extra 400 bucks you got, if not then you saved $400 and be satisfied for many years.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 14
To be honest, I never gotten the AEON, because I love my Ether C, to my ears the Ether C was perfect. I read plenty of review, people drive it straight from phones and were satisfied with it. I wouldn't dismissed this claim as Dan Clark is a wonderful and revolutionary inventor of headphones. I had a lot of headphone, and I just keep coming back to Mrspeaker product, I'm not trying to advertise his stuff but it works, from his Mad Dog line all the way to Ether C, I never had a complaint, the quality is top notch, the sound is awesome and the comfort is up there (I'm not saying its Sennheiser comfort but for its weight, I can wear it for hours).

I suggest a Used pair of AFC, play with it, if you need more amping, you can always buy it with the extra 400 bucks you got, if not then you saved $400 and be satisfied for many years.

AFC is some thing that I too want to get sometime in the future. Thanks for the info here. I was under a different impression about the drivability.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 14
The AFC is a very nice headphone and I’m with @Law87 I have the Ether-C’s as well so no need for them but they are a very good headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back