Getting new In-Ear headphones, need help deciding.
Sep 1, 2014 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Klawsome

New Head-Fier
Okay, i'm going to try to keep this short and sweet. I've typed out threads that have literally been a multiple page essay in length in the past and they didn't quite get the feedback or responses I was looking for...

So i'm looking for a pair of Sound Isolating In-Ear headphones that will block out sound around and also wont leak any audio so that people around me can't hear what i'm listening to.

I've had the Apple Earpods that came with my 5th Generation iPod touch for 17 months now and they've just now gotten a short in the wire after the everyday use for over a year and a half.

Now.. I'm very particular about my sound... After about half a year of owning them I had noticed that the maximum amount of volume on them had been gradually decreasing over time. Now I cleaned them very often but nothing I did  seemed to help, I assumed it was just the gradual build up of earwax was forming on the "metal screen" I guess you would call it, that I couldn't get out since it was on the inside of the earphone?

So I took a knife and poked out the screens on the inside of the earphones and I had crystal clear audio again!  I got this picture from Google Images to help illustrate what it was I cut out of the earphones.

Okay okay now back on the topic, sorry I just feel like sometimes sharing extra details to help prove my point on how particular I am with my audio is necessary I guess...

So i've never really liked a lot of things about the type of earphones that sit on the outside of your ear because I can still hear everything that's going on around me which leads me to turning up the volume which then leads to people tapping my on my shoulder and telling me they can hear what i'm listening to -_-...

So I need a pair of sound isolating earbuds that fit well and don't leak any sound. I've had earbuds in the past which had overpowering amounts of bass which I didn't really like, although what I primarily listen to is Electronic based music which most of the time relies on bass the most.

I have an app that I bought years ago that I have been using called EQu which I ABSOLUTELY LOVE, and my EQ settings look like this:

So I guess you could say I like my Lows, High, my mid's are kinda specific, and my highs are high. Then again, i'm no audiophile, so I could be wrong about some of the things i'm stating o-o...

So here's my verdict so far... 

I've always been satisfied with Razer, I know I know... they're not the best when it comes to audio, but I absolutely love the Razer Kraken 7.1's, and Razer Black Widow Ultimate I have. 

I've debated on whether or not to buy the Razer Hammerhead Pro's for a long time, then Razer came out with the Adaros in-ear. So now I am in need of a new pair of earbuds and I was just on the brink of buying the Adaros last week before I actually looked into some reviews for them. Every single website i've gone to have had 4/5 - 5/5, 8/10 - 10/10 star reviews on them. Up until just last night I came across this site HERE.

The things in this review that turned my attention away from getting the Adaros after reading this review were the things it stated such as,

"While bass-heads will be more than happy with this pair, if you are hoping for the same brilliant performance in highs and mids, you will be disappointed."

"They are great for the daily commute or the trip to the jogging track, but if you are a serious listener, you will find better, and possibly cheaper, options elsewhere."

So after reading that I was glad I didn't get them just from the fact i've been satisfied with them so far. The reason why I didn't jump on them and buy them from  day 1 when they were released is because lately i've been looking into other brands such as Sennheiser, Bose, and Audio-Technica. For gaming headsets that produce nice surround sound, i'll stick with my Kraken 7.1's for now, but for music i'm a bit more strict and i'd like to have the best I can get for my money.

Now, the reason why i've evn typed up this entire thread, was because I need advice or recommendations on what I should go with because I honestly have no clue on what to get at this point.... Also, it would be extremely convenient if BestBuy carried the earphones that I decide on because I always purchase a 2 year warranty that they provide for their products there for like $10 - $12. Buying the warranty the first time I got my Platronics GameCom 380 headset many years ago was one of the best decisions i've ever made. I haven't paid for a new gaming headset since 2010! When my 380s broke I traded them in for a pair of Razer Carcharias, and when those broke I traded them in for a new pair, and when those broke I got the Razer Kraken 7.1 headset which i'm using right now for only $30 more. So i've saved over $210 over the past 4 years on headsets just from my original purchase of the warranty and renewal in 2012 for a total of $20.

So as you can see, the warranty from BestBuy is a big deal to me so it would be AWESOME if somebody could recommend me a pair of earbuds that BestBuy carries! 

I've looked at the Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones and I really like them and i've heard 100% positive things about them in reviews, but they're not quite in my price range :/. I'm looking for a pair around $100 - $150 that fits all of my specifications if possible. 

Soo.. that's my dilemma so far... any responses or advice is greatly appreciated! I'm looking to get some new earbuds within the next couple of days and preferably before the end of this week because i'm going on vacation soon and it would be nice to have a decent pair of earbuds to listen to my music with while i'm gone!

Thanks again for the people who respond!

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 7
Bump... because I really need a response. :/

Sep 2, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 7
Hi!

If you can get your hands on Yamaha's EPH100, that is probably your best bet. You could read a lot about them in this forum. Based on what you said, I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with them.

Best Luck!

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Based on all the reviews i've read on these, they look to be perfect for me! Only thing about them that i'm not a big fan of, is the cord has been said to be not very durable and thin. It shouldn't be too much of a problem for me though since I can get the warranty from BestBuy with them XD.
Thanks!

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 7
  Based on all the reviews i've read on these, they look to be perfect for me! Only thing about them that i'm not a big fan of, is the cord has been said to be not very durable and thin. It shouldn't be too much of a problem for me though since I can get the warranty from BestBuy with them XD.
Thanks!

beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 7
I ordered them last night and I should be getting them by Sept. 13th. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 7
  I ordered them last night and I should be getting them by Sept. 13th. Thanks for the recommendation!

You're welcome. My brother has been using his EPH-100 every day since about two years ago with no problems at all.

Hope you enjoy yours!

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back