Getting new iMac.....XP or Vista
Jan 14, 2009 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Listen2this1

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to buy a imac and I am having a decision problem. I am going to run windows on it so I will be able to have AutoCAD and Inventor on it. Should I run XP or Vista?

Also if I install a 64bit OS and software will the Mac have any issues or will it actually be a better choice?

Does anyone have a iMac with Vista on it? Any suggestions.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 13
First of all, congratz on deciding to go Mac. I stepped into the Mac side of things about a year ago with a Mac Pro and also use bootcamp.

My advice: Use windows vista x64! I tried Windows XP 64bit (which does not work!) then tried Vista 64bit it installed faster than XP and the whole things runs flawlessly!
So I would not even bother with XP on bootcamp unless you specifically need xp due to compatibility issue with the software you use.. but if you do go XP you can only use the 32bit version!

Hope this helps.
M.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #3 of 13
Vista. Also if you don't have more than 3GB RAM there is absolutely no need to get Vista 64. Just get Vista 32.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 13
Man, I only use windows for compatibility, so I used XP. I already had a license, which saved some money, and the few programs I ran on it ran just fine. XP helped motivate me to learn OS X properly.

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 13
Xp x64 service pack 2. Its more stable, and faster. Vista is cool and all with its visual perks... but performance wise it hogs a lot of resources. If you are going to be using AutoCAD then xp pro x64 would be the best choice.

Good luck!

Jan 15, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 13
Xp x64 service pack 2. Its more stable, and faster. Vista is cool and all with its visual perks... but performance wise it hogs a lot of resources. If you are going to be using AutoCAD then xp pro x64 would be the best choice.

Good luck!

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by is daft /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good luck!

Windows XP x64 does NOT work via bootcamp. Don't waste your time.

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i run vista32 on mac bootcamp. beautiful.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back