Getting my Sony D-NE20 today
May 13, 2005 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

hifiboom

Head-Fier
huahhhh

I`m very happy, I am getting my D-NE20 Walkman today. Hopefully I will be able to change the language from Japan/Singapore to English without problems.........

does anyone own an imported version of the D-NE20 ?

May 13, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 20
i dont own one, but i'd be really interested in a nice photo-review of it. i played with one while i was in london and at the moment, im considering it a NE10 but with decent build quality...

pictures of it on the web seem few and far between..

May 13, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 20
I have import (US) DNE920
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2005 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 20
okay got it: really thin...........

for the soundquality : seems to be okay, but the included earphones and the fontopia 888 have to be used some hours to show up there real SQ. At the moment they don`t give much "sound depth" (high/treble sound is to flat and undefinied), I think its not the walkman as they they do sound same on my PC soundcard heaphone output.

But the Fontopia 888 give a nice bass, thats for sure......

600smile.gif
280smile.gif
600smile.gif

May 15, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifiboom
okay got it: really thin...........

for the soundquality : seems to be okay, but the included earphones and the fontopia 888 have to be used some hours to show up there real SQ. At the moment they don`t give much "sound depth" (high/treble sound is to flat and undefinied), I think its not the walkman as they they do sound same on my PC soundcard heaphone output.

But the Fontopia 888 give a nice bass, thats for sure......

600smile.gif
280smile.gif
600smile.gif

The stock phones with anything are terrible, hook up some good phones for the real impressions
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 20
okay the sound quality of the player itsself seems to be good, or at least okay. Bass boost in 3 Steps seems somewhat brachial and gets you bass out of nearly every earphone.........but the highs.......?

The standard ear phones on this one are the Sony 931S, which are not the Sony standard....
I also bought the Fontopia E888LP and

I totally hate them both. Both present no clarity at the high tones.

the Fontopia E888LP has okay bass and mids, but even full redbook CDs sound on this earphone like being mp3 quality. ****......!!!!

When I had the Sony NE700 with Sony standard ear phones I prefered the better highs on the Sony standard ear phones.

The better the bass gets on these earphones the more worse are the high.

Me is prefering detailed highs, so that for example high hats sound like metalic thing and not like plastic sound.....

Which way should I go for earphones?

PLZ help me, should I go away from Sony earphones and buy a pair of shure E2, or the Sony EX81.

I remember my Sony earphones that came with my 9 year old MZ-1 MD Player. These babys had excellent highs and extremly wide soundstage. I though I could grab the snare and feel that the clap is much more away from me.......the new sonys seem to be ******.....

Any recommendations welcome

May 15, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 20
Have you tried using the parametric EQ on the D-NE20? I use a pair of sony mdr-ex81s with my D-NE10 and even with a flat EQ I have no complaints about the treble. The sony mdr-e888 earphones are supposed to have very good mids and highs (for the price) according to many people on these forums.

May 15, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
Have you tried using the parametric EQ on the D-NE20? I use a pair of sony mdr-ex81s with my D-NE10 and even with a flat EQ I have no complaints about the treble. The sony mdr-e888 earphones are supposed to have very good mids and highs (for the price) according to many people on these forums.

of course I have tried everything.
But its not that they miss some frequencies. I just prefer "CRISTAL CLEAR SOUNDQUALITY WITH WIDE SOUNDSTAGE AND DEPTH"

The E888 sound muffled at the highs and also at the midrange. Its just not high fidelty for me. The soundstage is not around your head, its positions everyinstrument at the same point inside your head. NO transparency through all the instruments.

Someone on this forum also has the EX81 and the Fontopia E888, and says the EX81 has more clarity and soundstage.....

Thats what i`m missing.

the only thing on the E888 what is good: The frequency resonse seems to be okay, but not extraordinary.......

May 15, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 20
Hey hifiboom:

You should find a decent stereo store or head-fi meet and test out different headphones. Otherwise you'll never know if the problem is your player's digital amp or the headphones themselves. Almost anything that comes in a blister pack is below head-fi sound quality level... with the general exceptions of the Koss KSC-35/55/75, Portapro/Sportapro, Sennheiser PX-100/200, and Audio-Technica ATH-CM7... these portables seem to offer good sound for the money.

May 15, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 20
thx hiwire

okay now I searched for my old ( very old) sony earphones and didn`t find them.

But what I did find was the earphones that came long time ago with my pansonic DCC Player and now I pulled them into that Sony D-NE20.

What can I say : stunning!!!!

It seems to me that it is not the Walkman that does make up for the Soundquality, its the headphones....

I`m very happy now!!!!!
orphsmile.gif

To say something to the sony in terms of its soundquality: Now with the new earphones I think it has a "good" audioquality, maybe it has a little bit undefinement at the high tones(not razor sharp) but maybe its a psychological thing.

I did A/B now for hours between my headphone out of my mini hifi system in bedroom and my audio card headphone output and the sony D-NE20 headphone out.

Its really hard to find a difference when all is set to "off" (EQ off, CLEARBASS off)

stunning these panasonic HPs sound better than every other also my bigger Sonys non-portable headphones. The old Sony I had was still a little bit better.

But I`m sure Sony does not sell these HPs anymore, when I look at the so-called high end Fontopia E888, these are totally crap ......in my eyes.....

May 15, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 20
Single biggest problem with earbuds are getting a proper seal. That is, you want the driver to be perfectly parallel (is that the right term?) with your ear opening. Then, and only then, you get any sort of decent SQ out of them. To be honest, the E931s that comes with the D-NE20 is heads and shoulders above most earbuds.

It also helps to add the sponge/foamies to the earbuds. I'm not sure where you can get extra foam bits in Singapore.

Currently, my D-NE900 is gathering dust, I find that I'm using D-NE20 for CD duties. For one, there's no ambient noise that D-NE900 has heaps of, and can be easily noticed even with the stock buds. It is very light, almost to the level of my MD players.

Good stuff indeed.

May 15, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #14 of 20
I also bought an used D-211 walkman on ebay now (50€) . As many people here on this nice forum told me that the D-211 has one of the best headphone outputs.....
I also tried to buy an D-250 but was overbitten. I like the metal case and the old school sony design.

Lets see what I get .... eheehe
orphsmile.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back