Getting my one and only pair, which ones?
Feb 7, 2006 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mokpie

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I've been looking to make a headphone purchase in the upcoming future and I just can't decide what to get. Here is the situation:

I'm a student so I can't spend the money and get a pair of HD650s or something. However, I have been looking at phones in the range of SR-60s or similiar price. I'm looking for cans that will be basically "do it all" I listen to a little of everything. Portability is not a neccessity and I could go for anything including IEMs. I need ones that will sound good without amplification (although I do plan on investing in this in the future)

I've had oppourtunities to get:

Grado SR-60
Etymotics ER-6i
Shure E2C

but didnt get any of them because I wasn't sure what to get.

Right now I'm leaning towards Grado SR-60 but I dont know if they will give me the right sound for all kinds of music (this may not be entirely possible for many cans)

Also I'm in Toronto, Canada so sometimes its a little harder to get things up here, especially at the prices you guys in the US.

Any insigh would be appreciated. Thanks!

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:02 PM Post #2 of 13
Best all-rounder in this price range: Sennheiser EH 350 or HD 497. 555 if you can stretch. Quite a bit better at some genres where the Grados are a let down (classical, jazz, ambient, etc.)

Stay away from the e2c.

Feb 8, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mokpie
I've read that the HD 497 are discontinued? and how to the HD 477 compare?

The EH 350 appears to be the replacement, although the HD 485 is another worthy contender in the same price range. You can read reviews of 'em at www.headphone.com

I believe (from reading reviews) the 477 is bassier and more muddy.

Feb 8, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 13
edit: didnt mean to post here.

but yes..senns are good
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #7 of 13
Grado arnt "all round" cans (well at least the cups are
orphsmile.gif
)

Go for the senns they are allot more comfortable and balanced sound makes them good for most music, but the grado will do much better with rock/metal.

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 13
don't get IEM's unless you need portability AND isolation (which is a must for busses, trains, subways, planes).

and if you're thinking about grados, you might as well get a pair of ksc75's. i haven't heard any grado's but i do enjoy the ksc75 very much, and people have said there are similarities between the two.

if you want something full-sized and closed, sennheiser has a couple offerings. i went for the hd201 because it's cheap, but you may want to look at the hd280.

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 13
If you're only getting ONE pair, then stay away from IEMs and Grados. IEM are a relative hastle in general and Grados are not very allrounded headphones (minor comfort issure and bright sound).

I too would go for the eH350 which is basically completely the same as the HD497. Go for the HD555 if you can stretch.

Feb 10, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 13
I hear the eh350 is a replacement for the hd497, and the 497 was a fine can at the price point. minidic-canada sells em for 90$, i just got my hd485's for 76$ american shipped from headphone.com, i hear there a pretty good all-arounder, kinda like a bassier 497

Users who are viewing this thread

Back