Getting music on your iPod without using iTunes???
Dec 3, 2006 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Mindspin311

100+ Head-Fier
I know that there are some programs out there that will let you load music onto your iPod without having to use iTunes. Im looking for something that will let me drag and drop songs. I just recently bought a 5.5G iPod and checked the ephpod website but it seems that the software isnt suited very well for the new 5/5.5G iPods.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try winamp or mediamonkey, both free.

what don't you like about itunes? it will let you manually manage your ipod (drag and drop from the software).

I already have my music named the way I like it and I dont want iTunes renaming it. Ive see friends iPods where one band will get split up into 15 categories in the artists menu if they have special guests on the track. Also, I already use winamp and like it and I dont feel like having another player installed on my computer just to load my iPod up.

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 24
Winamp can transfer music to an iPod, it's got built-in support since version...5.1 I think. It doesn't support album art, but DOES support Gapless playback! It also supports smart playlists and the like.

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Winamp can transfer music to an iPod, it's got built-in support since version...5.1 I think. It doesn't support album art, but DOES support Gapless playback! It also supports smart playlists and the like.

Holy hell thats awesome! Im going to have to look into that.

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindspin311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy hell thats awesome! Im going to have to look into that.

Yeah, I highly recommend it, I use it myself to put music onto my 2g Nano... works beautifully, and is far more painless than iTunes... even allows you to transfer music back onto the computer with ease
rs1smile.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 24
Id be careful of Anapod. Several threads on the Ilounge site said awhile back they were rather unresponsive to questions and the platform wasn't all that stable. But, that WAS awhile back. Go to Ilounge forum and see what's going on now.

O and while winamp is free, check out the time it takes to burn a CD. FOREEEEEVER. Unless you pay for the "pro' version' Also no support for album art, unless you use something like Iart, which is another coupla clicks and pops to get stuff imported.

Naah--I'll stick with Itunes with all its little buggy features.

Dec 4, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindspin311 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have my music named the way I like it and I dont want iTunes renaming it. Ive see friends iPods where one band will get split up into 15 categories in the artists menu if they have special guests on the track.

Ok, I guess once you spend the time to learn itunes I'm sure it becomes easy but the learning curve (at least for me and my sister) is very steep. My sister and I constantly use MathCad (a math version of AutoCad) for our engineering courses and organizing/editing really, really, really complicated data on MathCad is so much easier than it is to organize/edit music on itunes.

I mean think 'bout it should it not be easier to organize music? At least a hell of a lot easier than functions, graphs, constants and the such. And as you said Mindspin311 the way it organizes it's files is not very conventional since it also did the same thing for me, specially with new rap albums in which each song has 10 different guests and a different producer to go along with it. Which for itunes is literally a different folder for each individual song! there's gotta be a way to turn that way of organization off on itunes, there just has to be a way.

Anywho, enough about my rant.

Dec 4, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #11 of 24
when you're importing the album, just change the artist to what you would like it to be. you're really complaining about how itunes automatically finds the track data. look for the cddb - its not part of apple. if you know of a better system, then let me know. if you don't want to have itunes automatically get the cd info, then do it by hand. it would really be easier to just rename the artist field in a couple clicks.

and fyi, with albums like that, itunes will often put the albums into their own folder in the "compilations" artist.

note: this will NOT effect anything you already have, just when importing cds. but, as i said, if you don't like, its easy to re-name things by hand.

Dec 4, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by polvodediamante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I guess once you spend the time to learn itunes I'm sure it becomes easy but the learning curve (at least for me and my sister) is very steep. My sister and I constantly use MathCad (a math version of AutoCad) for our engineering courses and organizing/editing really, really, really complicated data on MathCad is so much easier than it is to organize/edit music on itunes.

I mean think 'bout it should it not be easier to organize music? At least a hell of a lot easier than functions, graphs, constants and the such. And as you said Mindspin311 the way it organizes it's files is not very conventional since it also did the same thing for me, specially with new rap albums in which each song has 10 different guests and a different producer to go along with it. Which for itunes is literally a different folder for each individual song! there's gotta be a way to turn that way of organization off on itunes, there just has to be a way.

Anywho, enough about my rant.

Simple Solution... Just put the (feat) in the title of the song

ex)
Name
Backstage Girl (feat. Phonte Coleman)
Artist
DJ Shadow

Now on iTunes and on my iPod that song showw up with all my other DJ Shadow songs in that specific album... problem solved... for me atleast.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by polvodediamante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And as you said Mindspin311 the way it organizes it's files is not very conventional since it also did the same thing for me, specially with new rap albums in which each song has 10 different guests and a different producer to go along with it. Which for itunes is literally a different folder for each individual song! there's gotta be a way to turn that way of organization off on itunes, there just has to be a way.

There is. Go to Preferences, and under the Advanced tab, unclick the check box that says "Keep my iTunes folder organized" or something to that extent. It should stop from reorganizing all your songs according to ID3 tags

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebascrub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is. Go to Preferences, and under the Advanced tab, unclick the check box that says "Keep my iTunes folder organized" or something to that extent. It should stop from reorganizing all your songs according to ID3 tags

And there is that option too! Seriously if people just spent 10 minutes looking over the users manual.... all these "iTunes is so complicated" or my favorite "iTunes is too controling" threads would stop. Just read the manual and that would solve many problems.... but people are lazy
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back