Getting Motivated - Headphones for Weight Loss
Sep 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

W0lfd0g

Banned member: MoatsArt
For the sake of my family I am trying to get fit and healthy again.  Keeping up with a three year old and a five year old is hard work.

When I got married 14 years ago I weighed 75 kilograms (165 pounds).  As of five minutes ago I weighed 97.6 kg (215 pounds). 

No one would argue when I say that I am overweight and unfit, but I can't seem to get off my backside to do anything about it. 

Here's my plan:

Motivation - A pair of T1s re-cabled by Moon Audio with Black Dragon cable terminated in a 4 pin XLR (upon reaching goal). 
Goal Weight - 80 kilograms (176 pounds)
Goal Date - 30 June 2014

I will be posting my weight on this thread every Sunday to keep myself accountable.  Wish me luck!

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 36
Hard work an dedication can get you there, good luck.

And do push-ups. They help you a lot :)

Sep 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 36
Good luck, Wolfdog.  The first couple of weeks are always the hardest.  Once you get past the rough part and establish a pattern, it's smooth sailing from there.

You got an exercise routine or diet planned out yet?

Sep 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 36
Hard work an dedication can get you there, good luck.

And do push-ups. They help you a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

It's good to know that it's a case of success for effort - Energy in vs energy out I guess.  Great idea with the push ups, but I think I will have to ease into them!  No need for fancy equipment.

Good luck, Wolfdog.  The first couple of weeks are always the hardest.  Once you get past the rough part and establish a pattern, it's smooth sailing from there.

You got an exercise routine or diet planned out yet?

Thanks defcan for the encouragement. 

No fancy diet - I am just eliminating all fast food / junk food and substituting plenty of fruit and veg

As for an exercise regime, I plan to get on the exercise bike for twenty minutes each evening (and do push ups)

Oct 5, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 36
Hi Nathan

Just noticed the thread.  Want some company?  I'm 46 - approx similar weight at the moment (I'll jump on the scales tonight) - I have a 10 and 12 yo.  I got down to 81kg three years ago (from 102kg) - but didn't maintain to keep it off.  Kicking myself now - because it was a lot of hard work - and I just got into some bad habits.

When I lost all the weight last time, I was working with someone - made it a lot easier - as you have someone to measure against - and it keeps you motivated.

What I'd suggest (if you keen) is to keep the thread active - both as weekly weigh-in, but also daily record of exercise etc.  I found that helps keep me going - as  the "guilts" set-in if you miss a day (especially if you're having to post progress).

Anyway - if you're keen - either reply here, or PM me.  I'll "have your back" - and we can get to the goal together - 80kg would be about where I want to be as well.

Cheers

Paul

PS - like the idea of the incentive (T1).  Might have to talk to my lovely wife and see if she's keen as well (to put a 'reward' on the line)

Oct 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 36
That's a great idea, Paul.  Things like this area always easier with some encouragement from someone else in the same position.  We could give each other mutual support.

How do you want to do this?  I have thought of a couple of options:

1. I could edit the initial post to include your goals and motivation.  You could get this to me via a PM.
2. We start a new thread, possibly opening it up to others, where we all start together. 

You might have some better ideas.  Feel free to contribute!

I also like the idea of posting exercise, perhaps by way of a weekly summary.  

Cheers and many thanks!

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 36
Hi Nathan

You can edit the original post if you like - or we can just take it from here.  No need to start a new thread.  If others join - it's up to them.

Ok - here's my vitals 
redface.gif

46, father of 2 (10 & 12), married 21 years (we were late starters)

Currently 96.6 kg.

I have electronic scales that also measure body mass.  So other vital stats from today:
Muscle 55.5 % water 47.8%, fat 28.5% (yep- the fat one says I definitely need to do some serious work)

Target - weight wise I'd be happy to get to around 80kg - been there before - just need to stay there this time.  More importantly I'd like to get my fat % down to below 20%.  That will be the really hard part - but I've stated it - so now to work on it.

Today's exercise was pretty much only golf this afternoon with my father-in-law.  Still a 6-7km walk - but not really strenuous.

Thought/tip for the week - get yourself some green tea (when I did this last time I used green tea infused with raspberry - less bland).  Have  a few cups a day.  It's a good internal cleanser - but also can lift your metabolism by up to 2% (so basically a free gain toward losing weight).

I'll post tomorrow night with any exercise etc.

Cheers

Paul

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #10 of 36
Oh God!  Kilograms  
confused_face.gif
    ...gives me flashbacks of working out in British gyms, carrying around conversion charts and doing math in between sets   lol

Anyways, if ya'll are gonna post your daily routines then you might wanna think about posting your meals as well.  It's the most important part of weight loss afterall, and it might help keep some of the temptation at bay if you know you're gonna have to report it.

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #11 of 36
An online food diary?  Not a hope.  I am not that obsessive about my wight loss!

Can't argue about its importance, but I don't want to waste all my time on weight loss.

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 36
  Oh God!  Kilograms  
confused_face.gif
    ...gives me flashbacks of working out in British gyms, carrying around conversion charts and doing math in between sets   lol

Anyways, if ya'll are gonna post your daily routines then you might wanna think about posting your meals as well.  It's the most important part of weight loss afterall, and it might help keep some of the temptation at bay if you know you're gonna have to report it.

:)

I'm with Nathan on this - he and I will be comparing notes, but getting down to calorie counting (or charting work-outs) is the last thing I'll be doing.

My idea is more cutting out the cr@p and any snacking - and my idea of exercise is getting back into daily walking (one upon a time I was clocking around 70km a week).  That's enough to get in shape in a sustainable manner.  I have some weights in my garage - and I'll use them 3 days a week - but other than that ..... sensible eating and keeping relatively active.

I'd rather spend the gym membership money on headphones or music anyway :)

Oct 7, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #13 of 36
OK - first day's exercise.

Brisk walk when I got home from work.  8.2km - time 1hr 12m.

Cut my evening meal size down by about 30%.  No snacks :)

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #15 of 36
Cool - look forward to it.  Will be interesting to see how the Leg muscles are tomorrow.  Been a while since I've done this
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back