Getting Lasik Today
Feb 11, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #33 of 57
For spectacle wearing, near-sighted myopes (with high prescriptions), you have the added benefit after LASIK or PRK of being able to go to 20/15, 20/12, or even 20/10 due to post-surgery object magnification (assuming the surgery went OK). Go for it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ****ing hate my glasses. I've been considering LASIK for awhile.

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #34 of 57
Wow, guys! Thanks for all the well-wishing and comments.

Well, after all that worrying, I didn't even get it done. Not because I chickened out, but there was some issue with the correction "cards" the lasik machine uses to program per patient.

Apparently they are only used once per patient and thrown away, to ensure the correct program is done, and not accidentally using the last one's program.

They thought they had a box of the correct ones, but when they opened it, they were the wrong kind.

They had 3 cards leftover, so 3 out of 25 people got to get it done.

It was like someone popped my balloon. :frowning2:

Oh, well. I'm rescheduled for Feb 22. They apologized profusely, and gave me an additional $300 discount.

I'll repost after I get it done then.

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecommerce813 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CustomVue is definitely the way to go (versus standard LASIK). Are you going for uncorrected distance, uncorrected near, or "split" vision?

Uncorrected near, with astigmatism in both eyes.

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #36 of 57
Got off by the skin of your teeth (or should I say "eye") eh?
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #37 of 57
LOL. I did both eyes, few years ago (lasik). I remember the doc said, light will go off and Bammmm. The scariest day of my life!,when suddenly it was deadly dark. I confessed all my sins at that moment.....Few minutes later, doc said light will return and bammmm, again light came to life. UFF.....What a experience.

Few days after (I was on vacation), I went to my living room, all worried about my sight. Well, I took a glance on the window and saw the flowers from my neighbor, in the front. What a beautiful experience.

As a first time, I would do it again, but not twice. The best $2000 I spent in my life.

Until now, I can see like an eagle. Specially women, from far, far away...... ji, ji, ji. Yes! I did it because of them!, the most beautiful creatures on earth.......

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #38 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got off by the skin of your teeth (or should I say "eye") eh?
biggrin.gif

Actually, now I'm even more motivated to get 'er done! I'm a little miffed it didn't happen the first time though.

I got all the way down there and was fully prepared to do it, then BOOM! Not happening. What the?!

My wife admitted that she was about to lose it because we both took off work early to do this, until they gave us the discount.

The better have 50 boxes of the right cards on hand when I get there next time.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #39 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The better have 50 boxes of the right cards on hand when I get there next time.

Yeah I think those cards are like prepay for the laser--two kinds "normal" and CustomVue, with the CustomVue cards costing more. Not having the cards is a major public relations disaster since there's no way to override the machine without a card.

Why uncorrected near? Do you do most of your "work" up close and would prefer to wear glasses just for distance?

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #42 of 57
Quote:

Oh, well. I'm rescheduled for Feb 22. They apologized profusely, and gave me an additional $300 discount.

I'll repost after I get it done then.

More money saved to spend on audiophile gear =D

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecommerce813 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why uncorrected near? Do you do most of your "work" up close and would prefer to wear glasses just for distance?

I must have misunderstood you. I'm nearsighted, (4.75/5.5) and have astigmatism. I'm correcting both.

I didn't want to do monovision, although there are signs showing I'm starting to get the "arms too short" syndrome at 39. I'll probably need readers for some things afterwards. No biggie vs. glasses ALL the time.

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #44 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More money saved to spend on audiophile gear =D

No, less money taken out of my flex account!
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

I didn't want to do monovision, although there are signs showing I'm starting to get the "arms too short" syndrome at 39. I'll probably need readers for some things afterwards. No biggie vs. glasses ALL the time.

They really wanted me to have monovision. Yuck! When I gaze at the Grand Canyon, I want the complete 3-D experience!

I definitely need my readers for all things less than arm's length. Just that time-of-life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back