Getting iTunes music to come out of my Stereo?
Feb 25, 2006 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey there-
What are my options as far as wireless is concerned?
Id like tot be able to play iTunes on my computer and have the music come out of my stereo about 10 feet away.
Ive recently read good things about the Linksys Music Bridge: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper
-but I heard it can give you problems when you want to switch back to using your computers speakers or headphone out.

I live in a small place, so I guess running wires around the apartment is not the biggest deal, but wireless would be alot easier.
Any other suggestions/comments?

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi,

I stream my music wirelessly to an AirportExpress which is connected to a DAC. I am quite happy with the results...

The digital output of the Airport is bit-perfect (at least from a Mac), audio quality is very good with a good DAC (=quality depends on the DAC you use). The analogue output of the AirportExpress is nothing special, though (what would you expect of a device that costs 129€?!).

You could consider a Squeezebox for more features, but I doubt that it would be a step forward in terms of sound quality.

Feb 25, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 7
Airport doesnt work with a PC though, right?
What does the DAC do exactly and why is it needed?

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 7
DAC is a digital analog converter. Basically it takes the digital signal from your computer and converts it to a signal that speakers/headphones can use. Every sound card has these, but audiophile ones are much higher quality.
In addition, everything but printer sharing works for windows XP using itunes on the airport express according to the apple website
-g

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsteinb88
DAC is a digital analog converter. Basically it takes the digital signal from your computer and converts it to a signal that speakers/headphones can use. Every sound card has these, but audiophile ones are much higher quality.
In addition, everything but printer sharing works for windows XP using itunes on the airport express according to the apple website
-g

How much does the Airport cost and is it only used for music?
Also I dont have to use a DAC with it-its just that, that will improve the quality of the sound that ultimately comes out of the speakers?

Feb 25, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 7
The airport express (the one that streams music) costs $129 from apple. You do not need a DAC. It is not only used for music. It works as a WiFi hotspot in addition. If you have a Mac you can also use it as a network print server.
-g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back