Getting into Vinyl!
Jan 12, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #16 of 28
I totally agree with you, ngower.  The process is fun, and important, something that never really ends - why else are we all into this wacky hobby, right?!

I was simply relating my own experience though - totally subjective, possibly worthless to others, YMMV etc.  The OP did say he's on a tight budget - it would stink if he ended up like I did the first time around (ie I ended up with something that I thought sounded kinda blah).  I guess I'm just trying to suggest he weigh his options, to minimize the chance that he DOES end up in the situation I started in, and maybe  go sour on the vinyl experience.

Sounds like a lot of you have had a much more pleasant go at vinyl when you got started - and that is awesome.  I just wish *I'd* chatted with you earlier, as I'd have save myself some dosh!  :wink:

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
One could probably make a nice hobby business out of buying old TT's for $10 at garage sales, fixing them up, installing a new cartridge, and then selling them on Ebay.  Looks like that seller is doing just that, although not sure how much money there really is in it.

Not much money once you factor in hourly wages.

OTOH, if you are willing to do the work yourself, and find a suitable TT to work on you can find freakishly good deals.

I have taken to looking at old TT's just in case they have an interesting vintage cart :) I found a Marantz TT on the curb that isnt worth much mention, except that it had a VERY nice Shure M3d cartridge. A few dollars for a new (sadly not made by shure... but whatever) stylus and Im rocking out with a really nice vintage cart.

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 28
Grey's Anatomy grey's anatomy DVD since its first season, took the television world by storm. The second season continues to develop the love triangle and Grey launches key gear viewers: you can walt disney DVD not help but Addison, Derek's ex, cheating wife. Some shows have trouble keeping the story interesting beyond the first season, but this is not the case with Grey's Anatomy. It became more interesting as24 hours DVDthe story develops. Sparks flew in the last episode of the season, and the excitement continues this season. Initially, I must admit I was skeptical yet another show to hospital with ER and Scrubs severe angle to spin (masterful) comic. But I recommend house md DVDit highly amusing, and for once there is a show about romance and drama that is never sappy. Big thumbs up.I didnt know if it was possible, but season 2 definitely lays on the drama a lot thicker smallville dvdthan season 1! The plot twists are incredible and the medical cases are incredibly intriguing. The extras on the disc are great! A great value!

Jan 12, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #19 of 28
^ What the heck is that?
confused_face(1).gif

As to the vinyl thing, my uncle get me a pretty nice JVC F300 80s turntable. I don't even have a phono preamp, (he is trying to get a vintage receiver with one), but when I hook it up to my humble CD player/receiver, it sounds really good. Already I can hear things I don't hear in digital. There is an alive quality to the sound. As to the records, I love the tactile experience of the whole thing, and being able to look at the album art when it is so big. My advice to the OP is to get a decent old turntable, get it in order, and get some LPs. It is a fun and very rewarding experience. It is so much better than a download or even a CD, I cant even compare the two.

Jan 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #20 of 28

Quote:
Quote:
I don't want to sound like a sap on the situation, but in my experience (having gone into the vinyl rabbit hole, twice now) getting vinyl to really sound better than good digital, you have to pony up a decent amount of cash on your equipment (at least relative to what a good digital rig costs).

While that *may* be true, it misses the whole point of vinyl, IMO.  There is a ton of great music you can get on vinyl for very, very little money.  I regularly buy LP's in fantastic condition for $1 each at a local used record shop, and sometime I can get great records at Garage sales for 10 cents.  Compared to $1 for lossy-compressed downloads of one song, the LP is a huge bargain.  Vinyl is not just about audiophile fireworks.  It's about a better way to collect great music.

And IMO, a decent vintage direct-drive turntable with a new entry-level AT or Shure cartridge will sound just as good as a cheap digital source, overall.  Better in some ways, and worse in others, but still very good.

Some people get there music in other ways
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 13, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't want to sound like a sap on the situation, but in my experience (having gone into the vinyl rabbit hole, twice now) getting vinyl to really sound better than good digital, you have to pony up a decent amount of cash on your equipment (at least relative to what a good digital rig costs).

While that *may* be true, it misses the whole point of vinyl, IMO.  There is a ton of great music you can get on vinyl for very, very little money.  I regularly buy LP's in fantastic condition for $1 each at a local used record shop, and sometime I can get great records at Garage sales for 10 cents.  Compared to $1 for lossy-compressed downloads of one song, the LP is a huge bargain.  Vinyl is not just about audiophile fireworks.  It's about a better way to collect great music.

And IMO, a decent vintage direct-drive turntable with a new entry-level AT or Shure cartridge will sound just as good as a cheap digital source, overall.  Better in some ways, and worse in others, but still very good.

Some people get there music in other ways
evil_smiley.gif

Hahaha.  Sinner!!  :wink:

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #23 of 28
I'm considering a turntable purchase in the near future. My budget is very tight so I think I will be getting the AT LP120usb and running its integrated phono (until I get some cash for a real phono pre amp) through my u22 mic ports (which double as xlr stereo inputs) through my monitors. I remember listening to my dads records as a kid and really enjoying the experience so I'm very excited! 

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #24 of 28
I think folks today, coming to  appreciate vinyl  from their iPod perspective of  music, are  becoming curious , if not for anything more, just for the novelty of it. For any who think it out however, the turntable is a means to enjoy, as alluded to here earlier, media otherwise dormant. To buy a  new or vintage turntable for enjoyment of new pressings will disappoint, as without tremendous equipment and material,  distinction of it being  better than CD is not likely.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:
I think folks today, coming to  appreciate vinyl  from their iPod perspective of  music, are  becoming curious , if not for anything more, just for the novelty of it. For any who think it out however, the turntable is a means to enjoy, as alluded to here earlier, media otherwise dormant. To buy a  new or vintage turntable for enjoyment of new pressings will disappoint, as without tremendous equipment and material,  distinction of it being  better than CD is not likely.

Coming from the group you have described, I think your description is somewhat accurate as there is definitely a level of romanticism involved in the appreciation of vinyl records, but you forgot to factor in a few things.

Firstly, vinyl is far from dormant, while it is not at the capacity that it once was (nor will it ever be one would think), more and more artists are releasing their music on vinyl (as well as the various reissues by older artists) and in fact vinyl sales have been steadily increasing over the past few years. Also, a lot of people are interested in listening to music that is solely available on vinyl, so for these people buying a turntable is the only option. Secondly, in regards to new pressings you may be correct in that the sound difference in comparison to CD or digital may be minimal, if any, but if one was looking to buy a new album and came across the CD and vinyl variants in a store, at a similar or identical price, which one would you buy? Vinyl always has strong resale value, but what will a used CD be worth in 5 years? There are a number of things to think about when investing in vinyl (or with any music related purchase), not just the sound.

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #26 of 28
Dormant refers to pressing from days gone by, which will just remain dormant until someone pulls out the record for a spin. New pressings from digital masters will not likely  yield a sound  which would  be perceived by any as sounding better than CD. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #27 of 28
But many new vinyl releases are NOT from digital masters, and specifically say this on the packaging - all analog :D

Jun 14, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #28 of 28
The most important factor in any personal sound system....... is if it sound good to YOU. Not how much it costs, or what speakers you use, or "brand names". Some people have a discerning ear, others do not. Don't spend more money than your ears can truly appreciate.
The best thing to do is to go to a wide variety of stereo shops, listen to a wide range of systems. Don't be sold a system.... rather buy the system that is good for you.
Many people cannot tell the difference between systems.

That being said, there is a huge difference in low-end inexpensive equipment and high-end equipment. But that's a given and it really doesn't matter as long as what you buy is pleasant for your own ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back