Getting into Vinyl, cheap vinyl.
Aug 29, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All you need to wash dirty records is white vinegar, distilled water, some brand new sponges and a clean soft towel.

Many people are dubious of putting alcohol of any description on records and the ingredients and quality of what exactly constitutes "white vingar" vary a lot from place to place. Asetic acid may be good for some types of cleaning but I don't think it's a univeral elixir.

Vacuum cleaning machines like those offered by VPI, Nitty Gritty, Keith Monks etc really do make a huge difference becuase they suck all the gunk out of the grooves. Otherwise this is going to end up on your stylus.

This was sort of ok back in the days when replacements were cheap but these days doesn't really make financial sense in the long run when you can pick up a basic manual Nitty Gritty for a few hundred dollars.

That said I think some people do tend to take things a bit far and you can certainly enjoy vinyl, even of the 2nd hand variety without a fancy cleaning machine. Once you start to invest serious cash in records and playback equipment though it is a worthwhile aquisistion.

Aug 29, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

All you need to wash dirty records is white vinegar, distilled water, some brand new sponges and a clean soft towel.
See ya
Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Many people are dubious of putting alcohol of any description on records and the ingredients and quality of what exactly constitutes "white vingar" vary a lot from place to place. Asetic acid may be good for some types of cleaning but I don't think it's a univeral elixir.

Would someone recommend a home-brew formula for record cleaner which can also be used with record cleaning machine ? Any info is appreciated.

Aug 30, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif

White vinegar is distilled, so there are no impurities, and nothing left behind on the record. I've used it on tons of records with no problems... other than fingers that smell like pickles.

I learned about cleaning records with vinegar from Mark Obert-Thorne. He knows his stuff!

See ya
Steve

Aug 30, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

I learned about cleaning records with vinegar from Mark Obert-Thorne. He knows his stuff!

confused.gif
Never heard of him.

Anyway....
I've had vinyl in my life for over 35 years and have never heard of using vinegar on an LP. Don't think I would clean any of mine with food products, they are too valuable to me
biggrin.gif

I use commercial fluids, (Audio Intelligent).
I'm more comfortable with a purpose made product vs. something that may, or may not be clean & pure enough for record cleaning.

There are plenty of homebrew record cleaning recipes on the net if you search for them.

Of course a vacuum cleaning system is the best and you can pick up something like a used Record Doctor machine fairly cheap.
They are well worth the investment.
You also need a good carbon fiber brush to dry brush the record just before play.

Aug 30, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

White vinegar is distilled, so there are no impurities, and nothing left behind on the record. I've used it on tons of records with no problems... other than fingers that smell like pickles.

In the UK anyway "white vinegar" can mean it's made of grape, grain or malt distillates or even just industrial ascetic acid dilluted with water depending on the quality of the brand etc. I'd say it's certainly a safe thing to use on certain types of encrusted vinyl.

But the problem is that unless you have a vacuum machine it's accademic as whatever your chosen homebrew or commercial cleaning solution may be once you've put it into the grooves you're not going to be able to get it out again properly.

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #37 of 37
i started off with an inexpensive Technics SL-B!. Replaced belt ans so on. Had troubles with it stabilizing speed. finnaly cleaned pots not its ok. @ weeks ago I picked upa Sansui SR 636 (free) and what a difference compared to the Technics. Its direct drive and I'm using the same cart on it as I used on the technics, an ortofon 2m red. Maybe its me but the Sansui 636 seems a little laid back and smoother. I am happy with this turntabe and now don't have to pay big bucks for a Rega or Thorens. I recommend the Sansui Sr 939, SR838 and SR 636 series. Listening to music now, not dickering with a faulty turntable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back