Getting into Hi-Fi - Want a new source
Jan 17, 2005 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

deadlierchair

100+ Head-Fier
Over the years this time has been building since I first bought a CD stereo and now I'm ready to dedicate more time and money to music. Right now I am faced with the roadblock that I do not have a source that I really like listening to at home. Lately I have been listening to my Sony D-EJ611 portable CD player all the time but I would like something that I can keep in one place that will put out some better sound.

All that being said, I have browsed the forums here a bit and most of what I see are like $800 and up CD players. I am looking for something that might be $200 or $300, closer to $200 would be preferred. I realize that I could do better but I don't have the money to do more than this right now. Later on if I decide to keep with high end stuff I'll look into it more. I would like a player that will play CDs, and if possible, DVD-Audio and SACDs too.

I mainly listen to rock and some electronica-ish stuff. Are there any recommendations that people here might be willing to give?

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 4
I just picked up an el-cheapo Marantz 5400 for £85 (around $140). Just got some schematics and probably going to mod some things so it sounds less el-cheapo
smily_headphones1.gif

You could probably pick up a second hand Cambridge Audio Azur 640 for about $250, maybe a new 540 for $250, not sure about USA prices.

Jan 17, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 4
If you want redbook and sacd in that range you have some choices. The Sony c333es and c222es are in your price range used on audiogon. I have not heard them but for them money, they are supposed to good. When you have cash you can also have them modded by SACDmods. I am listening to a Hilary Hahn sacd through a Samsung DVD-HD841 and without some expensive source to compare it too, it sounds pretty good. The Samsung is under $200 and is a universal player. It also does a nice job with DVD playback. Remember, it's the music that's important. There are certainly other choices out there. You may want to consider doing a search, you will turn up a lot of information.

Jan 17, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 4
There is a modded Toshiba 3960 for sale in the sources for sale forum. might be right up your ally. I thought about it, but hte wife would kill me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadlierchair
Over the years this time has been building since I first bought a CD stereo and now I'm ready to dedicate more time and money to music. Right now I am faced with the roadblock that I do not have a source that I really like listening to at home. Lately I have been listening to my Sony D-EJ611 portable CD player all the time but I would like something that I can keep in one place that will put out some better sound.

All that being said, I have browsed the forums here a bit and most of what I see are like $800 and up CD players. I am looking for something that might be $200 or $300, closer to $200 would be preferred. I realize that I could do better but I don't have the money to do more than this right now. Later on if I decide to keep with high end stuff I'll look into it more. I would like a player that will play CDs, and if possible, DVD-Audio and SACDs too.

I mainly listen to rock and some electronica-ish stuff. Are there any recommendations that people here might be willing to give?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back