Getting into diy
Dec 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #16 of 18
If you want a portable DAC/AMP combo build a BantamDAC or GrubDAC and marry it with a Carrie amp (a smaller modified Mini3 designed to be paired with those DACs) as soon as more PCBs are produced. If you can't wait, build one of those DACs in the same case as a Pimeta or regular Mini3. The Buffalo is great but not as portable, if that's what you're after.

If you're using the Kester 44 you referenced earlier you won't need any more flux for through-hole soldering. If you decide on one of the DACs I mentioned or the Mini3/Carrie, you will need to do some SMD soldering so flux would be needed.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #17 of 18
Portable is not really a factor for me I use my imod for portable and I want a fantastic home source to feed my rig so I can use my stuff off the computer. Eventually I will build a top end home amp to have a whole rig but right now I would be very happy to have the dac. But I have been checking sites for the availability of parts and tpa is showing that they are out of stock while a new dac is being designed.

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #18 of 18
This is great! I'd really like to start building something myself, leading up to an eXstatA as my final goal. I'll take fallenangel's advice and start with the CMOY, but what do I need to get started? anything other than parts, a good iron and solder? I've got a good bit of metalsmithing experience for custom cases (which Id love to do for someone if they're interested) , but the last time I used a soldering iron I, er, grabbed it a little far down..... Electronics are not in my blood. But I've gotta get my hands on that eXtatA.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back