Getting high amount of bass distortion from Schiit Modi 2 (USB)
Jul 21, 2016 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Kukuk

Headphoneus Supremus
Heya, this has been a problem for me since I got the Modi 2. The distortion really only seems to be audible at under 100hz or so. I've tested every variable, and it seems to be my computer. I'm not really sure how to fix it, though.

I thought it might be the 6ft cable I was using. Tested a 3ft cable, and distortion persists.
I ran it from a dedicated USB 2.0 card, and distortion persists.
I output through WASAPI, and distortion persists.
I've changed sample rate and bit depth, and still the distortion persists.
It was only when I hooked it up to my PS4 that the distortion went away. Even with the longer USB cable there was no distortion.

There seems to be something under the hood that Windows 7 is doing, maybe?

Jul 22, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #2 of 10
Bumping. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Jul 22, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 10
Are you using foobar2000?

Jul 22, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 10
I had a Modi 2 and never experienced distortion.

If you plug your headphones into your computer's headphone outputs, is there distortion?

As far as Windows goes, you could click the sound icon, playback devices, properties for the default playback device, then enhancements, and make sure all enhancements are disabled.

The next obvious thing to check is whether any DSP is activated in your playback software.

You could also experiment with other output modes, such as ASIO, KS, and DS.

Yes, according to his signature.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 10

I get the distortion regardless of outputting through Foobar or not.

I had a Modi 2 and never experienced distortion.

If you plug your headphones into your computer's headphone outputs, is there distortion?

As far as Windows goes, you could click the sound icon, playback devices, properties for the default playback device, then enhancements, and make sure all enhancements are disabled.

The next obvious thing to check is whether any DSP is activated in your playback software.

You could also experiment with other output modes, such as ASIO, KS, and DS.

Yes, according to his signature.

I never had any issues with distortion from my old Sound Blaster Audigy 2. DSP isn't the issue, since as I mentioned I get it regardless of outputting through Foobar. I actually first noticed it with Burn-in Wave Generator, when doing pure tone tests. With lower frequencies (like 30-40hz) it's accompanied by like... A high-pitched wooshing noise? It's hard to explain.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 10
  I get the distortion regardless of outputting through Foobar or not.

I never had any issues with distortion from my old Sound Blaster Audigy 2. DSP isn't the issue, since as I mentioned I get it regardless of outputting through Foobar. I actually first noticed it with Burn-in Wave Generator, when doing pure tone tests. With lower frequencies (like 30-40hz) it's accompanied by like... A high-pitched wooshing noise? It's hard to explain.

Okay, what about my question: If you plug your headphones into your computer's headphone outputs, is there distortion?

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #9 of 10
Output modes change nothing, and as I've said before, it's not just in Foobar. If I run a frequency sweep in youtube I get the distortion and whooshing sound just like foobar or burn-in wave generator.

Jul 22, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #10 of 10
  Output modes change nothing, and as I've said before, it's not just in Foobar. If I run a frequency sweep in youtube I get the distortion and whooshing sound just like foobar or burn-in wave generator.

I see. I would contact Schiit Audio support via email about this, since it only happens when you use the Modi 2 on your computer, but not when you connect directly to your computer or connect the Modi 2 to your PS4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back