Getting headphones for office-use
Feb 3, 2016 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TerabyteST

New Head-Fier
Hey! I'm a proud owner of a pair of AKG K240 and I love how they sound and feel, but unfortunately they're open and they're starting to get difficult to use in my crowded office (both because they let too much sound in, and out).

I'd like to find something that is a bit more closed, while keeping the same comfort and sound quality that the AKG K240 have gotten me used to.

I heard a lot about the ATH-M50s. My colleague has them, so I tried them. I like how well they block sound from inside and outside (you can listen to loud music and nobody will hear a thing, and even at mid-volume the sound from outside won't bother you anymore).

What I didn't like, however, is that they feel a bit claustrophobic, and the sound doesn't feel as "feathery" as that of the AKG 240. Although I think that in part it's a matter of getting used to them, I'd like to scope around for other options, since I don't know much about this area.

Here are other models I've heard of:

- Sennheiser HD598
 - Beyerdynamic DT-770

I haven't had a chance to try either of them. What I read about the HD598 is that they're much more comfy, but tend to leak more sound (thus might not fit what I'm looking for). I don't know much at all about the DT-770, so I have no idea if they fit what I'm looking for.

Here's a short list of what I'm looking for:

- Good sound quality, comparable or better than the AKG K240;
 - Blocks and covers outside sound to a sufficient degree without having to listen at medium-high volumes;
 - Comfortable for long term use (4+ hours at a time);

Extras (nice to have):

- Bass is not too strong/overpowering
 - Doesn't feel claustrophobic (this might be vague though)

I hope I'm using this forum the right way. Please let me know if I was correct in posting this, or if I should do something differently.

Thank you in advance!

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 9
598 are open back - so they will leak

Get the DT770. They're also built extremely well and should last many years.

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #3 of 9
Thank you for the help! Do you think these headphones need an amp? I would use them mainly on my Macbook Pro (mid 2012) and occasionally on my iPhone 6S Plus. Admittedly, I don't know anything about amps and when they're necessary.

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #4 of 9
I have the dt770 pro 250ohm. By claustrophobic i assume you are talking about a relatively small sound stage.. In more common terms around these parts. The 770 does not have a big stage but i don't find is congested. I'm sure there are done who have the 770s and the m50s to say if the stage is different, i myself cannot.

Edit:: you can get an 80ohm version that will not need an amp.
Comfort and isolation wise the 770s do a good job. I were then for hours when my wife and i are both in the home office. I never hear r her when she tries talking to me and she has never hit me to get my attention to turn them down. She had to hit me for things yes but not leakage volume issues.

Feb 4, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 9
 I were then for hours when my wife and i are both in the home office. I never hear r her when she tries talking to me and she has never hit me to get my attention to turn them down. She had to hit me for things yes but not leakage volume issues.

haha

But yeah, the 770 @ 250 ohms will need an amp. You might want to consider Shure SRH840's too

Feb 4, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #6 of 9

You might want to consider Shure SRH840's too

But only if you pamper them... these are very poorly designed and can break very easily. 

Feb 4, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 9
  Hey! I'm a proud owner of a pair of AKG K240 and I love how they sound and feel, but unfortunately they're open and they're starting to get difficult to use in my crowded office (both because they let too much sound in, and out).

I'd like to find something that is a bit more closed, while keeping the same comfort and sound quality that the AKG K240 have gotten me used to.

I heard a lot about the ATH-M50s. My colleague has them, so I tried them. I like how well they block sound from inside and outside (you can listen to loud music and nobody will hear a thing, and even at mid-volume the sound from outside won't bother you anymore).

What I didn't like, however, is that they feel a bit claustrophobic, and the sound doesn't feel as "feathery" as that of the AKG 240. Although I think that in part it's a matter of getting used to them, I'd like to scope around for other options, since I don't know much about this area.

Here are other models I've heard of:

- Sennheiser HD598
 - Beyerdynamic DT-770

I haven't had a chance to try either of them. What I read about the HD598 is that they're much more comfy, but tend to leak more sound (thus might not fit what I'm looking for). I don't know much at all about the DT-770, so I have no idea if they fit what I'm looking for.

Here's a short list of what I'm looking for:

- Good sound quality, comparable or better than the AKG K240;
 - Blocks and covers outside sound to a sufficient degree without having to listen at medium-high volumes;
 - Comfortable for long term use (4+ hours at a time);

Extras (nice to have):

- Bass is not too strong/overpowering
 - Doesn't feel claustrophobic (this might be vague though)

I hope I'm using this forum the right way. Please let me know if I was correct in posting this, or if I should do something differently.

Thank you in advance!

I am throwing the Soundmagic HP150 into the ring. Largely neutral (subtly V-shaped) with excellent quality bass and a very good soundstage for a closed can.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 9

Users who are viewing this thread

Back