Getting HD650 and using on XFI
Sep 25, 2008 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TMX1

New Head-Fier
I know this has been talked about a lot in the past, but im going to upgrade my HD590 to HD650 soon.

Up until now ive been using the XFI Plantinum's front bay to drive my HD590 which seems to do a good job.

Now i got a XFI Titanium Fatality (with the front bay too) and im also going to get HD650's

Has anyone actually tried to power the 650's with the XFI front panel? I don't even know if its considered to be an amp of any kind but id like to hear people experiences.

Thanks

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 8
I have no experience with the X-Fi front panel, but the HD650 needs power, they have an impedence of 300ohms. An amplifier is really necessary to bring out their signature.

Sep 25, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 8
compuryan's right, you'll probably want to get an amp for your HD650.

Sep 25, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 8
I have the original X-fi Fatality.

I checked really quickly and the headphone port on the front bay powers them fine volume-wise. I noticed that the sound signature was somewhat sibilant and slower than my usual setup though (S/PDIF from front panel to Grace M902).

Sep 25, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dailow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the original X-fi Fatality.

I checked really quickly and the headphone port on the front bay powers them fine volume-wise. I noticed that the sound signature was somewhat sibilant and slower than my usual setup though (S/PDIF from front panel to Grace M902).

Thanks for the input.
Btw.. i sent you a priv message.

Sep 28, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #6 of 8
Ok i just bought the HD650's today and i hooked them up to my XFI front panel. They are getting powered just fine without the need of an amp. I did hear them today with an amp and quite frankly i didn't notice much difference.

Only thing ill upgrade is the cable.

Sep 28, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 8
"with an amp". What amp was it? They differ from each other you know.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I think you get better improvements if you upgrade the amp rather than cables. If the source is bad and the amp is bad, the cables can't be making miracles, I'm afraid.

Sep 28, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"with an amp". What amp was it? They differ from each other you know.
smily_headphones1.gif
And I think you get better improvements if you upgrade the amp rather than cables. If the source is bad and the amp is bad, the cables can't be making miracles, I'm afraid.

very true

just because its an amp, doesn't mean its the right amp, not all amps are created equally, and furthermore, what works for one pair of cans, doesn't work for another

Users who are viewing this thread

Back