Getting FM Radio interferrence with PC > USB > Keces 151 MK2
Aug 17, 2009 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

IctusBrucks

Head-Fier
Hello,

I recently got a Keces 151 MK2 that I use at my office. It is connected to my Dell T7400 desktop via USB and then to my Woo Audio 3+ amp. This setup is working fine and I have no complaints..... so I decided to get a Keces 151 for my Home PC as well, which is an identical Dell T7400.

So at home I have:

Dell Precision T7400 > USB > Keces 151 Mk2 > Arcam A65 > B&W 602 speakers and DT990 headphones.

when I hooked it up last night I put on headphones and cranked the volume with no music playing to see the noise floor. The a65 is noisy and mediocre as a headphone amp but I digress....

with vol near max, mixed in with the noise I heard tsk, tsk, tsk... Confused I listened closer and could make out a hiphop melody and then commercials and then more hiphop.

Yes, my pc USB seems to be picking up FM radio! Last night I could make out Kelly Clarkson playing through my speakers at about half-volume.

Turning off the pc, unplugging the USB, or switching inputs on the amp all
make the radio stop. If I just use the stereo mini > RCA straight to the A65 amp I get no such radio interferrence.

My Dell and keces DAC are both USB only, so what can I do to isolate the USB signal? I don't want to go spdif so is there any USB transit that might eliminate it?

Any idea why my setup at home would cause this, but not the office?
Should I try a more heavily shielded USB cord?

Aug 21, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 2
Update:

I replaced the Keces 151 with a Benchmark DAC1 USB.

I left the USB and Power cable from the keces in place and just used them for the DAC1.

Absolutely no Radio Interference now.

However, on my work PC which is an identical Dell T7400 desktop, the Keces doesn't have radio interference either. But my work PC is plugged into a beefy APC surge/battery backup while my home PC is just plugged into a surge strip. Maybe it's coming over the power?

Either way, the DAC1 isn't susceptible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back