Getting FLAC 24-96 GK vinyl onto an iPod
Feb 22, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 12
Have you tried using the music converter in dBpoweramp?

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 12
Can you convert to WAV as is and then from WAV to ALAC?

dBPoweramp sometimes doesn´t like certain files for no apparent reason... I use mainly ogg/flac and sometimes it just refuses to convert! I have to resort to other converters to get the job done
frown.gif

Edit: I use Goldwave sometimes and it can play with up to 24/192 rez so you should be good to go here, but you need WAV/FLAC first since it can´t do with ALAC.
Also, this is a bit far fetched but, what's the file size? If it's larger than 4 gigs you'll NTFS drive for it.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 12
The iPod's don't support a sampling rate higher than 48Khz. They support a bit depth of 24-bit though.
In short, you need to down-sample to ex. 24-bit/48Khz.

Can't comment on applications though, as I am not that familiar with MS Windows.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 12
Yeah, and if you take a look at his sig you'd see that he has an iPod Classic (un-rockbox-able).
My guess would be that you first downsample it to 48Khz, and then convert it to ALAC with dbPowerAmp

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JOR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
24/96 FLAC files will transfer and play with no problem on an ipod running Rockbox.

Unfortunately OP doesn't have an iPod that supports Rockbox.

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JOR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
24/96 FLAC files will transfer and play with no problem on an ipod running Rockbox.

Ok, but Rockbox don't support the iPod Classic which the OP have...
wink.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi!

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 12
You can convert to AIFF without much loss. Unfortunately, you are going to have at least a bit of loss as you need to down sample to 48Khz/16bit but that is strictly a limitation of the iPod...
  1. In iTunes preferences, under the "General" tab, click "Import Settings"
  2. In the "Import Settings" dialog box, select "AIFF Encoder" from the 'Import Using' drop-down. Then select "Custom" from the 'Settings' drop down.
  3. In The "AIFF Encoder" dialog box select "48.000 kHz" from 'Sample Rate' drop down, select "16 bit" from 'Sample Size' drop down and select "Stereo" from 'Channels' drop down.
  4. click "OK" to close the 'AIFF Encoder' dialog
  5. click "OK" to close the 'Import Settings' dialog
  6. click "OK" to close the iTunes preferences dialog

select your 24/96 songs in your iTunes music library, right click the selection and select "Create AIFF versions" from the drop-down menu...
after churning away for a moment, you should have AIFF versions of your 24/96 songs that can be added to your iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back