Getting fitted for molded ear plugs, figure I'll get some IEM's too. What do I need to know?
May 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

JadeMonkee

New Head-Fier
Hullo,
As a frequent concert-goer, I'm at high risk for ear damage. As a music lover, the prospect of going deaf is terrifying.
After talking with my audiologist friend, she has convinced me that I really, really should get some fitted ear plugs for all those times spent grooving in front of the speaker stacks.

So, I'll  be getting my ears molded in the coming weeks.

As if by serendipity, the other week, the cable on my Sennheiser headphones was ripped from its plug, so I'm now in the market for some new phones (I will be repairing the Senns, but why not take this opportunity to spend some money?).
So, with an ear-mold soon to be in my possession, I figured, why not get some custom-molded IEMs?

Sadly, I have no idea where to begin. I did a search on custom IEMs, but couldn't find anything that enlightened me on where/how to get the flanges made.
Are all IEMs compatible with custom molds, and it's just a matter of changing the flange?
Or do I have to get certain IEMs?
Do I have to tell the person taking the molds anything particular?
Do I go to the IEM manufacturer to get the custom IEM flanges made (sending them my molds)? Or do I get them from the same place I get my ear plugs from?

And, on another related note, what IEMs do you recommend?
I live in Australia, and would be happy to spend around $300 on the IEMs, more if you provide me with some convincing rhetoric.

Many thanks for your help.

PS, I had a pair of Etymotic ER6's a few years ago and hated them. I found the fit uncomfortable, and the sound inconsistent (I blame the fit) -- although, even at its very best, I never enjoyed the sound. A total lack of bass (I admit that I love bass, but this seemed even lower than flat; again, it may have just been the fit).

May 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #2 of 22

Here's an audiologist instruction form from 1964 Ears. I believe other custom companies have instruction sheets as well which will tell you what you need.

May 10, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 22
Do you want custom IEMs or custom tips for a particular set of IEMs?

I would suggest custom IEMs, as that would be best. You go to the audiologist and get some good (key) impressions. i would suggest semi-open jaw impressions just for the best seal, especially for your concert earplugs. You then send them to your IEM manufacturer of choice (following their specific instruction sheet), and in a quoted period of time you receive your custom IEMs. That's pretty much it.

as far as budget goes, let's see if i can be convincing.

If you up your budget to $400 USD it puts you in the quality custom range, UE4, JH4, 1964-T ect.

Whelp, that's all i've got.

May 10, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 22
I want custom IEMs - I didn't realise they weren't removable tips.
Thanks for the info. I'll start looking at reviews for those models you mentioned... I can probably justify the extra bucks :)
Any favs?

May 10, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 22
You can get custom-moulded tips for universal IEMs, or you can get custom-moulded IEMs. The former are tips shaped to your ears, that can be put on commonly - available IEMs with the appropriate nozzle size. The latter are acrylic or silicone-shelled IEMs for which the whole body is shaped to fit in your ear.

Keep in mind that if you are getting two different things (ear plugs and IEMs), you will need two sets of ear impressions. You might or might not be able to save a little money getting them all done at once - depends on how your audiologist prices it. Ask.

May 10, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 22
And, on another related note, what IEMs do you recommend?
I live in Australia, and would be happy to spend around $300 on the IEMs, more if you provide me with some convincing rhetoric.

If you live in Australia why not check out unique melody? $300 is a bit low fro custom iems but you could potentially find some triple fi 10s
for $100 and have them reshelled by um for $200. UM have a melbourne branch so you would save heaps on postage.

May 10, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 22
I second re-shelling the TF10s. They're very enjoyable, maybe not the best, technically speaking, triple armature IEM, but I for one enjoy them. Plus, this way, you get to hear if you like them first before re-shelling them, and if you don't, it will be a lot easier to sell.

May 10, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #13 of 22
I say just take a leap of faith and go for an entry-level pair of proper custom earphones. I don't believe you will be disappointed with any of the major companies, though I'm partial to JH Audio. 

May 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
I say just take a leap of faith and go for an entry-level pair of proper custom earphones. I don't believe you will be disappointed with any of the major companies, though I'm partial to JH Audio. 

+1 on this.

I would also like to recommend 1964 Ears though, as they've got great customer service and excellent shell quality.
That and the 1964-D's are probably the best entry level Custom's you can find for under $400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back