Getting first dac/amp or better pair of headphones (currently m50x).
Mar 18, 2019 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Poziokat

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

nearly 2 years ago I bought m50x mostly for portable and mobile usage.
As my old crappy gaming headphones crashed recently I was looking up to advancing a bit with my audio setup.
Though m50s are easily driven I was told to first get a better amp/dac and then start thinking about higher level headphones.

That got me into dozens of hours of reading and listening. Reading mostly - unfortunately not really a big choice of test devices in local shops.
I listen to mine m50x on pc at around 20% volume and ~50% with android phone, so ofc I need no amp purely for the volume amplification.
I was however able to try out the dragonflies and I really did enjoyed the noticeable sound upgrade DF red has provided over my android device. Black version was meh in my opinion.

First question is if the sound difference WITH M50 is based on better components of dac/amp, or is it just its unique sound characteristics DFR provides?

As for the new headphones I was thinking of getting something with different sound signature to my current setup, preferably a HD600 at the current moment. From reviews I've seen DF red is able to drive them to some extent, I do realize it wont be a dream but neither want I spend lots of cash at a single go.

Again, at the local shop I was advised to get a better dac/amp than DFR, like aune x1s or smsl m7, but I couldnt try them out + don't think they would fit my goal according to their reviews. Also their price is a killer, DFR is sold here for 130$ and aune and smsl are 320$ . It does not seem to me that their worth the price jump.

Currently I think of buying DFR, because of its mobility, good pairing with mine M50s and possibility to drive HD600's to some extent.
Later I'd buy 600s for usage with DFR, and after some time a better amp (like darkvoice) and use DFR as DAC only.
I also like the idea of having DFR ready for my m50x every time i want to go mobile or just not in mood for a home listening.

Is it a way to go and what alternatives do I have?
Would DFR be a fine DAC with amps from higher price range?
I'm also unsure if other low price dac/amp would improve m50x sound quality, as I couldn't try them out...

I don't want to spend all the money at once, would prefer to get upgrades step by step.
Shiit stack seems fine too, but adding up shipment + taxes it is not so appealing.
It seems like my post got way too long, but I found myself totally lost in the topic after hours of read...

Would be really grateful for any help, advice or enlightenment on my current knowledge :)

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 17
I have a DFR and think it is a very good device for the price. I tend to use it more as a dac than a dac/amp as I bought it as a dac for meets as I have several amps and needed it as a dac. Don’t have the HD-600’s but have the Massdrop HD-6xx’s which are virtually the HD-650’s and yes they will run them but closing in on max volume for me and I don’t listen real loud.

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 17
What is the budget for these purchases? Do you want open or closed headphones?
Budget is dependent on quality/price ratio, let's assume it as up to ~350$ for headphones and 300$ in case of amp/dac.
Would be happy to get cheaper amp/dac, but if it's worth the price I could evaluate more expensive ones. Just nowhere near Mojo at 600$.
I'd like to get open headphones and stick with m50s for mobile usage.

I have a DFR and think it is a very good device for the price. I tend to use it more as a dac than a dac/amp as I bought it as a dac for meets as I have several amps and needed it as a dac. Don’t have the HD-600’s but have the Massdrop HD-6xx’s which are virtually the HD-650’s and yes they will run them but closing in on max volume for me and I don’t listen real loud.
Thanks for the answer :wink:
Dunno if true but I've read 600's are less power hungry than 650's when speaking of loudness.
Also is DFR transparent as DAC or it adds up same sound characteristics as when used as both dac/amp?

Mar 18, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 17
Get the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X headphones and the DragonFly Red.

Mar 19, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #8 of 17
Massdrop isn't so appealing when sum up all taxes and costs of shipment to eu. :/
Is there any way to know approx shipment dates for those offers?
My friend is currently in US and could get me those as he's coming back on late June.

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 17
Well, it does say what the shipment cost is but taxes are unknown, probably at around 25-30% of product price.
They also provide estimated ship date, but the catch is it could be hugely postponed...
Do Sennheisers arrive on time via massdrop?
Guess I'd have to ask additional questions on theirs forums. :)

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #11 of 17
Massdrop hd58x which is close to the hd600 for $160 and hd6xx which is bassicall the hd650 for $200. A $45 refurbished audioengine D3 can drive either of these.
I like the HD58X because my smartphone can decently drive it.
Plus the HD58X sounds nice :)

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 17
Massdrop isn't so appealing when sum up all taxes and costs of shipment to eu. :/
Is there any way to know approx shipment dates for those offers?
My friend is currently in US and could get me those as he's coming back on late June.
Have your friend buy the HD58X and he can ship the HD58X to you as "used" headphones.
So he can ship you the headphones and cable to you, but not use the original box the HD58X came in.

Mar 19, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 17
Have your friend buy the HD58X and he can ship the HD58X to you as "used" headphones.
So he can ship you the headphones and cable to you, but not use the original box the HD58X came in.

Same applies for flights?

Also, if fe. for HD6xx they provide info:
Estimated ship date is Apr 30, 2019 PT.

Does it mean they are already in US and ready for shipment or that they're being sent to US from factory?
I'd have to read reviews on those both headphones, clarity of HD600 was the thing appealing me the most, and it seems both of massdrop HD's are more bassy ones.

Mar 19, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #14 of 17
Same applies for flights?

Also, if fe. for HD6xx they provide info:
Estimated ship date is Apr 30, 2019 PT.

Does it mean they are already in US and ready for shipment or that they're being sent to US from factory?
I'd have to read reviews on those both headphones, clarity of HD600 was the thing appealing me the most, and it seems both of Massdrop HD's are more bassy ones.
I'm fair sure Massdrop does not receive any headphones from Sennheiser, until just before Massdrop is ready to start shipping them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back