Getting ER-4Ps, got some ? (first post)
Dec 31, 2006 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

midnightgt

New Head-Fier
First off, hello everyone. Love the site and will be spending a lot of time here.

I am soon to be ordering my first in-ear headphones.
eggosmile.gif

I have decided to go with the Etymotics ER-4P MicroPros. I decided this for a variety of reasons: A lot of various reviews have pointed positively, they are well priced (I will be getting them from eBay for >$200), and Etymotics Research is in my hometown (not a real reason - just kinda cool).

Just got some questions:

What should I look forward to/need to know about these in-ears? Any tips for usage or anything you wish you knew when you first got yours?

Should I get a portable amp? I really have not heard much about portable amps until coming to headfi, many others look at me like i am crazy when I mention a headphone amp. If you think I should (and it will be future) purchase an amp, what do you guys recommend?

As for music files:
For encoding to computer..What encoding is best? 320kbps MP3? High VBR MP3? Flac? I tend to be shy of flac because of the insane amount of diskspace it uses. However, if it is that significant in quality, I can easily save for an external hard drive. But if like a high VBR is just as good as flac, then id rather save the space and money.

Also many people speak of the "cord rub" with etymotics. Is there any way to protect from this?

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:46 AM Post #3 of 14
Unfortunately, you've picked an incredibly strange time for a post like this.

Lol.

So i'll be the first to say it...

The search function is the answer to all these questions.

Enjoy the ER4s i just got mine a few weeks ago and I LOVE them. Incredible headphones.

Dec 31, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightgt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of various reviews have pointed positively, they are well priced (I will be getting them from eBay for >$200), and Etymotics Research is in my hometown (not a real reason - just kinda cool).

If you haven't purchased them yet, I hope you take a look at this. This is much LESS (not greater than even) than $200.

Dec 31, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 14
The ER4ps are amazing little headphones; the only problem is sticking then into your auditive canals and then getting used to them; some people cannot stand them. Happy listening!. We all got here looking for some info and got what it is called "the bug". A disease with no cure...
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately, you've picked an incredibly strange time for a post like this.

I had just gotten home...it was a Saturday night you know
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillz10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
were do you live?are ety and shure both in the chicago suburbs?

I am not sure about shure (their contact page does not give an address), but I live in Elk Grove Village, (about 20 minutes out of Chicago). I mapquested the travel to their place and ety is about a 4 minute drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you haven't purchased them yet, I hope you take a look at this. This is much LESS (not greater than even) than $200.

I thank you sincerely, this is where I will be purchasing the etymotics now, maybe tonite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happy listening!. We all got here looking for some info and got what it is called "the bug". A disease with no cure...
evil_smiley.gif

I am sure I already have it, since finding this site I have done nothing but read about headphones. I think the disease has already fully taken over.

Thanks all for your replies, I will try to do a search when I get home from work about the encoding.

Dec 31, 2006 at 2:56 PM Post #8 of 14
I have been an Ety (4S) user for years and here are a few of my suggestions.

1. Search old posts there are literally hundreds of posts and nearly as many opinions on everything Ety related.

2. When you get them try both ear plug types. Both work great but how they feel is personal preference. Also pay attention to the insertion instructions as a good seal is key to good sound.

3. Go to the drug store and get some ear cleaning solution and rinse all the wax from your ears. The filters will last longer and you will hear better.

4. Do not listen too loud. Tinnitus is not reversible and you want to hear the music for a long time.

5. Try your new IEM's without an amp the P's do not require one. Since you live in the Chicago area it will be easy to try a headphone amp before you buy.

Dec 31, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #10 of 14
They are reference-quality IEMs that are the most uncomfortable IEM I own -- I tolerate the lack of comfort for the excellent sound quality. I use them with my P -> S conversion cable when connected to an amp. Should you have a problem, good luck dealing with Ety's BRAIN DEAD customer service.

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #13 of 14
for those who hate the ety tips, try the shure tips i put in the link in my sig.

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are reference-quality IEMs that are the most uncomfortable IEM I own -- I tolerate the lack of comfort for the excellent sound quality. I use them with my P -> S conversion cable when connected to an amp. Should you have a problem, good luck dealing with Ety's BRAIN DEAD customer service.

bob, i do not see how ety customer service is brain dead. have you tried calling them? their email may take days to reply but if you call them, they would help you with your problems.

my er4p case was spoilt, i called them from Singapore, thru skype, and they sent me a new case in 1 week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back