Getting earbuds onto a new IEM...how the hell do you do it?
Jun 4, 2020 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

dpastern

100+ Head-Fier
So, I'm totally new to IEMs, thought I'd see what the fuss is about and try a cheaper pair, so bought a pair of CCA C10s after much reading on the net...

They've arrived, look great, but one of the earbuds has fallen off as I was taking it out of the packaging. I spent near 20 minutes of utter FRUSTRATION trying to get the bugger back on without any luck. How on hell do you do it? Do I need to get some KY lube lol!!!

Can I just forgo the suckers and wear the new IEMs au naturale?

Cheers,

Dave

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 13
Are u referring to putting the eartip back on the IEM nozzle?

Sometimes brute force doesn't work, I try to slowly wiggle it in, or place the IEM on a hard surface, so u have some backing while putting the eartips in/

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 13
Are u referring to putting the eartip back on the IEM nozzle?

Sometimes brute force doesn't work, I try to slowly wiggle it in, or place the IEM on a hard surface, so u have some backing while putting the eartips in/

Yes, that is what I mean, sorry, I know nothing about IEMs or what parts are named what.

I tried brute force, wriggling, hard surface, just couldn't get it on. The earbud's diameter looks way too small to fit on the nozzle - by my eyes a goold 2mm or so, but I realise that it's made from a flexible material and will expand. I guess this is why I've always used headphones. I guess these IEMs will just stay in their box unused :-/

Jun 5, 2020 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 13
I had the same issue with u when I first used IEMs.

I managed to get the eartips in at the start by using the non dominant hand (which has less strength) to put it in. And try to get one corner of the eartip in first, then slowly and patiently get the rest of the circumference on by spinning the tip along the nozzle. Don't compress the eartip too strongly in as the silicone eartip may resist and bounce away from the nozzle. Or maybe ask one of your other family members to have an attempt haha.

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 13
I had the same issue with u when I first used IEMs.

I managed to get the eartips in at the start by using the non dominant hand (which has less strength) to put it in. And try to get one corner of the eartip in first, then slowly and patiently get the rest of the circumference on by spinning the tip along the nozzle. Don't compress the eartip too strongly in as the silicone eartip may resist and bounce away from the nozzle. Or maybe ask one of your other family members to have an attempt haha.

I did try it an angle last night (google a YouTube video on how to do it), no luck. I guess I'm lack patience lol.

PS I'm ambidex, so no dominant hand.

Try slipping it on at an angle of 30-45 degrees and wiggle or twist as you go. The more that slips on the less angle needed.

Tried that last night to no avail. My eyes are very bad, even with glasses, so I can't tell if I've torn the earbud or not.

It seems that they are very difficult to get on, lots of people seemingly have issues with this, especially new IEM users.

Can I use the IEMs without the earbuds?

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 13
I did try it an angle last night (google a YouTube video on how to do it), no luck. I guess I'm lack patience lol.

PS I'm ambidex, so no dominant hand.

Tried that last night to no avail. My eyes are very bad, even with glasses, so I can't tell if I've torn the earbud or not.

It seems that they are very difficult to get on, lots of people seemingly have issues with this, especially new IEM users.

Can I use the IEMs without the earbuds?

The answer is, unfortunately, not really.

Without the tips there is no seal and the IEM will sound terrible. All the bass and most of the mids will be missing or very faint.

It's pretty hard to tear these silicone buds, so I doubt it's damaged.

You could make a tool. Get a cheap punch or spike and cut it off where the diameter is just a hair bigger or the same size as the nozzle. Place the spike against the nozzle, then slip the ear tip down it and right onto the nozzle.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 13
The answer is, unfortunately, not really.

Without the tips there is no seal and the IEM will sound terrible. All the bass and most of the mids will be missing or very faint.

It's pretty hard to tear these silicone buds, so I doubt it's damaged.

You could make a tool. Get a cheap punch or spike and cut it off where the diameter is just a hair bigger or the same size as the nozzle. Place the spike against the nozzle, then slip the ear tip down it and right onto the nozzle.

Oh well, I'll build up my patience again after a few days and give it another try I guess. Hopefully I can get it on.

I'd read that it's easy to tear the earbuds, that's why I was worried about damaging them.

Will a punch go through the earbud material cleanly though? Of course, my other worry is that there may be leakage due to there not being a tight fit, or the earbud can come on off in my ear canal, which is a real worry for me with using IEMs.

Are IEM earbuds always this hard to get on? Is it like a rite of passage lol?

I'll give it a try in a few days, last night wore my patience down and I need to build it all back up again.

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 13
Should slip right over it. Basically its just to expand the opening, so that it slips onto the nozzle easily.

Could do it with part of a plastic chopstick or any cone shaped object.

Good idea!

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #11 of 13
Just had a thought, one of these ear gauge expanders would work great. I think 4g is about 5mm.

About $2 on ebay.

s-l400.jpg

Jun 5, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 13
Just had a thought, one of these ear gauge expanders would work great. I think 4g is about 5mm.

About $2 on ebay.

s-l400.jpg

I'll see if I can scrounge something around the house first before resorting to Fleabay lol. Got my head full atm trying to sort out problems with LightningDS on my newly acquired Auralic Aries mini streamer (not correctly showing album art; album song list missing from album, despite files being on the internal SSD HDD etc). I seem to get a bunch of problems at the same time, none of them easy to fix. Drives me crazy lol.

Aug 1, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 13
Just an update - I took the IEMs to a local small phone repairer and he got the earbud on in like 2 seconds. I was gobsmacked. So, they're working, fit comfortably in my ears, and sound bloody brilliantly good! Very, very, very, very happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back