Getting balanced output from non-balanced?
Apr 15, 2007 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

StevieDvd

Headphoneus Supremus
Sitting here reading about balanced systems and the debate going on gave me pause to think about the possibility of a converter to take a non-balanced output and put out a balanced signal.

I know my Rudistor NX-33 can take a non-balanced source and output balanced, as does the Headroom offering.

So is there something for sale already that can do this or is this a diy possibility?

Sure it's not going to be the same as a full balanced system but could it be a cheaper option for folk to go/try balanced but keep their current sources.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #2 of 11
The answer is the Zapfilter mkII, a fully discreet class A output stage that delivers true balanced outputs even if your dac chip doesn't support it. Quite simple to install and sounds a lot better than any opamp analog stage.

Apr 15, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #3 of 11
Stevie: You can either symmetrise by transformer or electronically. Transformer-based solutions are readily available (e.g. Neutrik NA2M-D0(2)B-TX...), but you could also go diy (e.g. using some Lundahl transformers - example schematics to be found over there: http://www.jacmusic.com/techcorner/S...-transformers/).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 18, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sitting here reading about balanced systems and the debate going on gave me pause to think about the possibility of a converter to take a non-balanced output and put out a balanced signal.

I know my Rudistor NX-33 can take a non-balanced source and output balanced, as does the Headroom offering.

So is there something for sale already that can do this or is this a diy possibility?

Sure it's not going to be the same as a full balanced system but could it be a cheaper option for folk to go/try balanced but keep their current sources.

Unfortunately, a HeadRoom Balanced Home amp can't take a non-balanced source from analog rca and output it balanced. Only the HR Balanced Home can do that. That's why I am struggling to use a balanced SR225 on my HR with my iMod as source.

Jul 19, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 11
I found the sollution!! It was very simply!

Starting from source:
RWA iMod->Alo Audio Vcap-> mini to RCA->Cardas rca-to-XLR
adapter->Headroom Home Balanced->balanced Grado SR225;

I might be able to stream music (wireless) from my
Squeezebox Duet which is connected to my balanced source via
ethernet.
I have not yet checked info on how to establish a wireless
Squeezebox Duet configuration.

Jul 19, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 11
Surprised to see this thread pop up again
confused.gif

I am not sure you have a correct balanced input if I understand your solution correctly. Using the rca/xlr converter won't make the input balanced - they are for taking balanced rca cables to xlr. Unless the amp handles it correctly it may be a bad idea - otherwise you are just getting a standard unbalanced feed. It may be wiser to just use the rca feed direct!

When I first asked the question I thought it may have been possible to knock up a simple diy box with a few resistors etc to convert the output from a CD player to balanced.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have any digital source upstairs or any other balanced source
frown.gif

I hate the HR Home Balanced amp really, I am planning to sell it (check out eBay) and buy a Balanced Rudistor NX33..

Jul 19, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #8 of 11
Splitting a single ended signal can be done passively with transformers, or with any number of "active" circuits.

The simplest of the active circuits is on par with a cmoy for parts count and overall complexity when using the dedicated phase-splitting chips. Reports from the field indicate that phase-splitting transformers often sound better than active phase splitting solutions.

Jul 19, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexdemaet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the reply.
I don't have any digital source upstairs or any other balanced source
frown.gif

I hate the HR Home Balanced amp really, I am planning to sell it (check out eBay) and buy a Balanced Rudistor NX33..

That seems a bit drastic, the HR seems to be a nice piece of equipment, especially with the build in dac. Not heard one personally but I'd not like to wager that the NX33 is better! Have you a PC with digital out that you could try it with and have you heard an NX33 yet?

I bought my NX33 to be driven by the benchmark balanced output the fact it could take unbalanced in and use single-ended headphones was an option I did not think would get used.

You may want to post the ebay ref here at head-fi in case any Europeans want to get in on the balanced act.

Jul 20, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #10 of 11
You are absolutely right, it might be too drastic to decide to get rid of this nice amp but I have been struggling with this unbalanced to balanced disadvantage of the HR Home since I owned the amp for about a year.
If the iTransport won't damage the iMod then I will definitely keep the HR amp
(see http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ho...dphone-344733/ for more details).
I don't have a portable computer source, my desktop pc (my main music source) is connected via Squeezebox on my Akg k1000 rig (I can't move it upstairs).

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 11
How about something like the airport express? Especially if you have a wireless router already.

That would provide a bit perfect digital feed upstairs for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back