Getting back to the hobby - Bedside table/Night stand rig
Feb 15, 2016 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jraul7

Head-Fier
Getting back to the hobby after a couple of years, as mentioned in my intro thread post, I used to be able to use my Audioengine A2 speakers at work and at home, but that is not the case right now. Thus, I need to get back to headphones, because my dragonfly + bose soundsport in ears are not cutting it. Some background information:

1. Most of my music listening (in them of hours) is at work, from the laptop using the aforementioned dragonfly + bose soundsport in ears. I found this setup "bass lacking", and I usually listen to Rock (grunge, classic... almost anything except heavy metal...Metallica and System of a Down is as heavy as it gets) and some light jazz/pop with female singers. I also listen to acoustic stuff. I get that the weakest link is probably the iems as they do not "seal", so I ordered the Shure SE215 to see if they're comfortable for me. If they are, I will probably upgrade during the year to the 315 or 425. However, I've also entertained the idea of getting a better pair of closed headphones for the office, but it needs to be something comfortable. My first question is, what do you guys think of the dragonfly+shure combo? Would I need a better dac/amp combo to drive something like the Shure 315 or 425? What about if I go with the Sennheiser Momentum or Grados 325 for office use? I ask because the Apogee Groove looks nice, but if the dragonfly can do the work, I see no reason to change it.

2. This is the fun question. I also work from home plus I like to listen to music before going to sleep. . This is done in bed, so my original idea was to get a good portable dac/amp that I could use at home and power it from the laptop and my iphone/ipad. After a brief search over the weekend I liked the Oppo HA-2 as it appears to do everything I want. Again, the Apogee Groove seems nice but apparently it won't work with the iphone, so I would need to use my macbook to listen to music when in bed. And here comes the dilemma: For a little less than the price of these two portable amps I could get a Schiit Stack (modi and vali 2) which I believe should power almost any headphone I choose. The drawback, again, is that I could not use the iphone as a source, so I either suck it up or get the Oppo HA-2. I guess I would love to know what you guys are using for a "night stand rig", or at least know your opinion of the equipment I'm listing. I've been out of the game for a few years and I'm probably missing something that may work even better for me.

In regards to headphones, I really want to try the Hifiman HE-400s for home use, I've read great reviews plus to friends use to have them (they both moved to more expensive cans so I can try them). I understand that at that price point I have other options, so recommendations are welcomed (Oppo PM-1? Sennheiser HD600 or HD650).

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm basically looking for a semi portable office rig and a bedside table rig, but do wanted to add the products that I have and some products that seem interesting to me. 

Thanks for reading!

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 10
1. IMO I think the dragonfly would be plenty for the IEMs mentioned. I've auditioned the Momentums as Best Buy, I thought they sounded fun but I preferred my Dunu DN-2000s (Really great hybrid IEMs BTW). Can't speak for the Grados though. My personal bias for a work setup is IEMs. They have good portability, probably the best passive isolation in most cases, and there are just so many choices from bargain bin to end-game CIEMs. For isolation, fit, and comfort the Comply foam tips are amazing.

2. Commenting on the Schiit stack, this is a solid amp/dac combo. As far as headphones go, if the 400S is even half of it's cousin, the HE-400i, I think it would be a good choice. I'm not sure how it would pair with tubes though. If you wanna get into tubes, then the HD 600 would be a fine choice too (I had it on a Magni, but when I used it with my friends tube amp it created so warm tubey magic).

Feb 17, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for the reply! 

I would also prefer to use IEMs for the office, so I'm hoping I can find a comfortable pair that sounds good for my taste. And it would be great to use the dragonfly, which I got less than a month ago!

I'm pretty sure I'll get the 400s later this month, and I actually found out that a friend of mine has a Vali 2 at home, so I'll be able to try that amp with my headphones.

Feb 17, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 10
I am pleased with the Modi U2 and Asgard 2 on my nightstand.  Not too large and the quality of sound from the pair is IMO, outstanding with my HE-400i Hp.

I have a TEAC HA-p50 on my desk at work plugged into my laptop and for portable applications.  

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 10
  I am pleased with the Modi U2 and Asgard 2 on my nightstand.  Not too large and the quality of sound from the pair is IMO, outstanding with my HE-400i Hp.

I have a TEAC HA-p50 on my desk at work plugged into my laptop and for portable applications.  

That's one of the options I have in mind... macbook to schiit stack (modi and vali or modi and magni) to Hifiman HE-400s for my nightstand. I just haven't decided if I prefer a portable amp/dac like the Oppo HA-2 so I can use my iphone or ipod as a source.

Mar 15, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 10
My portable rig - lots of bass to hear the bass guitar and get a good "thump" out of the bass drum.

My main rig at home (my reference amp is still busted and hasn't been looked at yet), compact enough for a bedside rig.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 10
  Very nice! What IEMs are those?

Aurisonics ASG-1. They've been bought by Fender to produce their IEM line though, so any units of these are just old stock that retailers have. You might be able to get them cheap if you look around.

http://www.amazon.com/Aurisonics-ASG-1-5-Generic-Digital-Hybrid-Monitors/dp/B00NPA2D84/ref=sr_1_cc_8?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1458145287&sr=1-8-catcorr&keywords=Aurisonics
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=Aurisonics
http://intl.fender.com/en-PH/features/in-ear-monitor-series/ (www.aurisonics.com redirects there now)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back