Getting back to Planar. Need recommendation
Jun 23, 2019 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Vric

New Head-Fier
Hi

I'm new here, but for the last few months/years, I have been searching for "the sound" I like with headphones.

I started "simple" with the Hifiman HE560 and a Sennheiser GSX 1000 dac/amp. I had lot of fun wih these and that get me in the game to search for "better".

I changed this setup for Hifiman Ananda with a Massdrop CTH amp (Topping D30 dac). It was nice, but I didn't feel it was worth it over my last setup. I expected more...

I then changed the dac for a Pre Box S2 Digital. The sound was a bit better, but still not to my liking.

Then moved the CTH and Ananda and went with the Woo Audio WA3 and Sennheiser HD6xx.
Now that was a nice setup! I really like the "tuby" sound. Very smooth and relaxing. This is great for Accoustic music, but not that much for other style.

Now today I'm looking for an Amp and Headphone combo. I kinda miss the speed and punch of Planar. (Mostly the HE560 since Ananda didn't impress me much)

I was thinking about trying Audeze with the LCD-2 Classic and maybe a Liquid spark amp (trying to be under $900) Would it be a good "next move"?
Any other recommandation?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 3
Audeze with be warmer than the HiFiMans and yes they do have nice bass. If you want punch the Drop Fostex TR-X00’s do bring quite a punch they are more fun than audiophile but damn fun. The Liquid Spark is a good choice for planars for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back