Getting back into the Hobby - Looking for an amp to drive HD650
Dec 27, 2014 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Schizeophonic

Head-Fier
Head-fiers:

I have been a longtime lurker on the site (extremely helpful community!), but now getting back into the hobby since my current endeavors have me near a computer most of the day.

My current computer setup consists of computer FLAC files (and sometimes google play all access) being fed into the following:

a.) NuForce Icon HD - flexible, sounds good with no real issues
     b.) HK3490 Stereo receiver (love it) - I think its now discontinued - WHY!?!?!
     c.) Infinity primus p163 bookshelf speakers - They make sounds come out of the computer when my headphones aren't on... but the high end is a bit overdone)
     d.) Headphones are the Sennheiser HD650s (numero uno), Sennheiser Momentum, and Sony XB700. I use the headphone amp out of the Icon HD.

I currently would like to buy a new DAC/Amp. I recently bought a Vali off of Physther to try it out - its currently in the mail. I need some help getting a new amp/dac. Currently like how the 650's sound, but want more soundstage and magic (you know, the dragon all head-fiers are chasing). Additionally, I like crossfeed circuits, and I find myself sometimes using the HK headphone out because it has dolby headphone, and I actually DO like it sometimes - mainly because it gets the sound out of my head. I grew up around a dad that listened to tube amps and hi-fi speakers where smoothness was the name of the game, so that's the sound I am accustomed to....

Based upon some research I am reviewing the following (Budget less than 500):

a.) Bottlehead Crack - seems like this may be the de facto standard for 650's. I think you can get a line level signal by doing some hocus pocus to the headphone jack?
     b.) Woo Audio WA3 (used) - Like the looks, but sounds like it may be more colored than the crack (which I wonder if I would prefer). Like that it has a preamp output since this may help tame the speakers.
     c.) Maverick Tube Magic - Is this in the same league?

Any thoughts here? Right now my gut is telling me buy a pre-built Crack from the sell forums and enjoy. Might need to buy a schiit modi as well, but don't know if the DAC is any better than what I already have. Sigh, this hobby gets expensive!

Thanks in advance for any input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back