Getting Back Into Head-Fi, Opinions Needed!
Apr 13, 2008 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Xiode

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, so I had gotten out of the whole hi-fi scene for an extended period of time after selling my Darth Beyers and M^3 a while back. However, I'm nearing the end of my senior year in high school, and I don't think Georgia Tech is going to tolerate these Klipsch speakers that I have.
biggrin.gif

Basically, the goal is to put together an inexpensive listening station that I can use in a college dorm without bothering anyone.

Cans that I've owned in the past:
  1. SR-60's - My first purchase after browsing Head-Fi for a while. Was coupled with a DAC (don't remember the name, it has been a few years)
  2. HD-555's - My second purchase. Wasn't entirely unhappy with the Grado's, but wanted to try the Senn sound signature. I liked the headphones, but they were a tad too muddy/relaxed for me.
  3. Beyer DT880's (older version) - The first pair of cans that I truely fell in love with. I loved that they were airy, lightweight, and excelled in the mid and high ranges. Only drawback to me was that they were lacking in bass. Coupled with a M^3.
  4. Darth Beyers (Bloodwood 770-80 Pro's with BlackMax recable) - I loved these in a different respect. The bass was incredible as were the low-to-mid's, but highs were a tad lacking. Additionally, they were a tad too heavy for me.
  5. Grado HF-2's - Didn't keep these long at all. The sound was far too bright while using it with my M^3.

What I'm looking for:
  1. Something lightweight, airy, and comfortable. Sound leakage is also an issue, being that they're to be used in a dorm room for the most part.
  2. Relatively inexpensive (don't want to spend more than $200-300, used is fine)
  3. Has to excel at hard rock / metal / alternative / pop-punk with a little rap, hip-hop, and techno/trance sprinkled in.
  4. Warm sound, with a lot of bass but also having good mid-to-high's.

That being said, I'm open to any suggestions. From what my buddy has told me (the guy I'll be rooming with at GaTech), Ultrasone's are the new popular thing here. He just recently bought a pair (I wanna said he said something about a 750?) and I have yet to try them out.

Side note: I currently have a Firewire Audiophile, Pioneer DV-563A, and a pair of interconnects that I can either keep or sell. Suggestions are appreciated.

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 19
Hmmm... looking at your music preference, I can't help but to suggest SR-225. It has decent bass and sounds amazing for rock IMO. I can't say it's amazing for comfort though.

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 19
Since you said that sound leakage is an issue, maybe you should buy closed cans.

Some suggestions of the closed cans that are getting popular and fit your requirements (never listened to any of them):
- ATH ESW9
- Ultrasone HFI780
- Denon AH-D2000

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 19
Things sure have changed! I don't recognize any of those specific models. Keep in mind that while I want something that doesn't leak sound, a little leakage is ok, as I like airy cans
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... looking at your music preference, I can't help but to suggest SR-225. It has decent bass and sounds amazing for rock IMO. I can't say it's amazing for comfort though.

I gave the Grado thing a few tries, and I just don't prefer them. In my experience, the sound has been too bright/harsh and they're lacking in the comfort area.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 19
Denon AH-D2000

Some might say it's another FOTM, but I think these are the real deal. Of all the headphones I've had, it's the ONLY one that I can throw on any music and think it sounds right (I haven't been able to say that with the HD650, HD600, DT880, Grado SR225, SR60, K701, any single or dual driver IEM that I have actually owned)

+
Airy sound
Deep punchy bass
Superbly comfortable (equal to DT880, better than K701, HD600)
Sealed
Can be had for under $300
No obvious sonic flaws. Tonally well balanced

There are other cans that do *specific* things better, but few that gets ALL things as right as this one. And you have the option of doing the popular MarkL mod if you think the bass is too flabby, in which case people think that it's one of the best cans ever (personally I don't see the need to do so)

Since I've owned the DT880 old version, I would say that the AH-D2000 has similarities to the DT880 but has better, punchier bass

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 19
Wow, that review of the AH-D2000's plus a few that I was reading on Amazon makes these sound the exact can I'm looking for. Moreover, it's right in the price range I was looking for. What's the best amp/DAC to combine them with (again, I'd like to stay relatively inexpensive)?

Apr 13, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that review of the AD-D2000's plus a few that I was reading on Amazon makes these sound the exact can I'm looking for. Moreover, it's right in the price range I was looking for. What's the best amp/DAC to combine them with (again, I'd like to stay relatively inexpensive)?

Just to clarify, it's the AH-D2000, not the ATH-AD2000 which is a Audio Technica

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 19
Hey Xiode,

I'll also recommend the Denon AH-D2000 to you as it suites your criteria as stated, and I think they're a very punchy HP, needing very little amplification to sound quite good.
Also, they are more tolerant of even quite pedestrian sources and its material, as they're somewhat rolled off in the highs relative to what you say you have tried.

Good luck with your new cans
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to clarify, it's the AH-D2000, not the ATH-AD2000 which is a Audio Technica

Whoops! Just made a typo, I was looking at the Denon's on Amazon
wink.gif
So the general consensus I'm getting is to go with the AH-D2000's. What amp/DAC should I combine them with?

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoops! Just made a typo, I was looking at the Denon's on Amazon
wink.gif
So the general consensus I'm getting is to go with the AH-D2000's. What amp/DAC should I combine them with?

They really are quite easy both to drive and have sound quite good, as always more power and clarity is better; So again, IMO your budjet should be your guide.

No specifics, but just in general. Are you using your soundcard listed, and / or, are you going mobil?

Again, not that I have any specific recommendations, but those questions are basic if you are asking for others opinions.

For instance, I enjoy mine as listed below, meaning they scale up well. However, I am equally amazed at how well they sound when feeding from the lower end of mobil components.

ta ta ~

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #14 of 19
I am also curious as to what amp I should get for this. I am on a very hard budget - and am driving them through the Beresford DAC right now...

Apr 14, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 19
I'll probably end up listening to them via a laptop(Macbook Pro)-as-source for the majority of the time, but also possibly a CD-player of some sorts. I was taking a look around, and the Zero DAC/Amp is getting some really good reviews for a very modest price. Any opinions on their synergy? I'm thinking that I could start with that as an amp, and eventually use it as a preamp for perhaps a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back