Getting around bad sources
May 2, 2006 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pencechp

Head-Fier
So, I'm generally really happy with my setup (need an amplifier, but it's on the way, so I can manage for now). I've got one question, however--there's one thing that still prevents me from fully enjoying my headphones.

For about 4 out of 5 albums, I absolutely love the sound. The phones mostly disappear (exceptionally well mastered sources sound simply perfect), noise floor is as low as I can expect on low-fi gear, good separation, good resolution, tonal balance that I like.
280smile.gif

But for that damned fifth album, I go absolutely batty. I'll get a source that's too bright, or too muffled, or not bassy enough, and I want to throw my phones out the window. I go back to something that shines with the phones, and my rage subsides, but nevertheless the problem remains.

So, what can you do to your rig to make it "more forgiving," short of buying more forgiving headphones? I really like the analytical clarity of my setup, and I guess I may just have to get used to living with the "curse of the audiophile"--being unable to listen to poorly mixed sources.

On the other hand, if anybody has any experiences tweaking such problems that they'd be inclined to share, I'm all ears. I'm not looking for a magical fix for bad audio (garbage in, garbage out, I know), but if there's something you can do to somehow keep bad recordings from burning holes in your eardrums, I definitely want to know about it.

May 2, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 9
If you listen to music such as classical and chamber music, just buy a different recording of the same songs.

EDIT: By the way, you are beginning to learn the merits of owning several sets of cans.

May 2, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricBlack
If you listen to music such as classical and chamber music, just buy a different recording of the same songs.

EDIT: By the way, you are beginning to learn the merits of owning several sets of cans.

Shhh, this advice could lead his wallet to commit suicide
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I know--I can see why it would be a good idea to have (for my purposes at least) both a pair of HD280s and a pair of DT-770s. But that's $200 that I just can't justify yet...

EDIT: especially when you factor in the necessary amp upgrade, which would bring the total for that little splurge to more like $400.

May 2, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 9
Since my time is getting pretty limited, and since I can't go and read all your posts to try and figure this out...

I see you only have made 18 posts (as of this writing), and you have an "amp on the way". Which leads me to wonder: How new is your setup? Are your headphones properly "burned in" yet? It could help if they were.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
smily_headphones1.gif

I can sell him a good scanner/copier, and he can make some tens and twenties. (j/k) Okay, I admit that one was a little scary...

May 2, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Since my time is getting pretty limited, and since I can't go and read all your posts to try and figure this out...

I see you only have made 18 posts (as of this writing), and you have an "amp on the way". Which lead me to wonder: How new is your setup? Are your headphones properly "burned in" yet? It could help if they were.

The system has been burned in--I've got a traditional amplifier with a pretty decent headphone jack, and I pumped Rage Against the Machine (the bassiest CD I could get my hands on) through the 280s for 50 hours.
biggrin.gif
Burn-in is CRITICAL with these headphones... Had their sound not changed the way it did with burn-in and a blue tack mod, I most definitely would have returned them straight away.

Quote:

I can sell him a good copy machine, and he can make some tens and twenties. (j/k)

Pity those new bills won't let us get away with this anymore... (just kidding, Secret Service
evil_smiley.gif
)

May 2, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 9
I would try to listen to a different copy of the same recording if it is the only one that is giving you problems... there is always stuff that can and will go wrong with everything

May 2, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 9
My favorite cans (DT880) are on the analytical side, so I've been tweaking my budget rig to minimize effects from average-and-below recordings... stuff like warm sounding cables and opamp swaps. As far as downright poor recordings go however, I don't think there's any way around the "curse" without simultaneously harming the good ones... unless it's buying a pair of forgiving headphones for certain recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back