Getting an iPod ... but couple of Q's
Nov 1, 2006 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

m_memmory

1000+ Head-Fier
Well last Friday my X5L was stolen out of my jacket pocket at work and the insurance company are replacing it with an iPod video 30Gb but I've got a couple of questions. I've tried searching the net to get some ideas of the answers but I can't seem to find anything.

I've heard that the newer iPods don't come with an AC charger but that doesn't bother me too much (at the moment) as my PC will be on most of the time and it can charge via that. However I do have a couple of phones in the house that charge off of mini-USB adaptors. I'm wondering if I would be able to plug either of these into the dock connector so that I can charge the iPod via these? Or would I have to get an actual dedicated charger specific for the iPod?

Basically what's the power output that the iPod takes to charge from?

Nov 1, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 6
The power source for an iPod is a Dock Connector, it is a properitory jack created by apple. They usually ship with a Dock connector to USB male cable. Not usually... only and always( the new ones). A charger would just be a brick with a USB port (female) to plug that cable into. You could do a couple things. One buy a Sik Din :Sik Din Line Out only with USB output instead of Firewire. Then potentially you could try to find a female mini-USB-male USB adaptor to plug them all together. And see if it works!

Or you could use your Dock Connector cable with a Female USB-female mini-USB adaptor to plug and chug.
blink.gif

Yeah its confusing and probably won't work. But interesting idea. I wish it did work.... mini-USB is great for charging, since there are cheap wall chargers, car chargers, and just use a cable with ur computer. Perfect. 6G iPod should really have mini-USB.

Nov 1, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 6
Well that's a shame then. Seems that I might have to get an extra plug to charge the iPod for when I'm away from my computer (already got so many different plugs for so many different things that it'd have been nice to have a few less)

Yeah - annoying to lose a X5L and have it replaced with an iPod video but music is what I mainly want and (in the end) they both do a very similar job. Plus the iPod is easier to get a decent line out from to connect to a portable amp.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 6
You can get generic USB-Plug adapters for around a fiver on eBay, definitely worth the investment in my mind.

As you pointed out you will be able to get a better line-out signal from the iPod, a definite upside!

Sorry to hear about your X5 in the other thread, had my 60gb iPod stolen about 3 months ago (along with some ety's), not good
frown.gif

Nov 1, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 6
One end is USB and the other end of the wire an Apple proprietary Dock connection. AS LONG AS IT IS THE CORRECT VOLTAGE, it should work.

All the iPods I have bought come with the USB and Dock wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back