Getting an AMP/DAC for the first time. SMSL M2 or Fiio E10K?
Oct 3, 2015 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AbedFa

New Head-Fier
So to start with, I need your opinions on a couple products that I looked into. They are SMSL M2 and Fiio Olympus 2 E10K. I live in Israel and I'll probably just order one from eBay.

To be specific on a few things, I'll be using one for my PC - Headphones, mainly for better quality music. I could still use it for gaming but I don't do that much. My budget range is like something around 234.76 ₪ ( $60 [USD]) to 293.44 ₪ ( $75). 

EDIT: The SMSL aside, how would the Topping NX2 compare to the FiiO? Considering the NX2 is three times cheaper, is it worth getting it over the FiiO or should I just go for the FiiO for a guaranteed satisfaction?

I was about to settle with the Fiio Olympus E10 but when I couldn't find any on eBay I decided to look into the newer version which is the Olympus 2 E10K. That's when I ran into some guy over YouTube with a bunch of AMPs all over his desk. He reviewed the product and seemingly he wasn't too happy with it and had ended up recommending 2 better products for the price range which are the SMSL M2 and SMSL SD793ii. The SD793ii didn't meet my likings so never mind it for now

Also, I like Bass a lot, my headphones aren't particularly that bass heavy so I end up boosting it with EQs and stuff. (I'm using a Razer Adaro Stereo in case you're wondering).
I could really use your knowledge and experience peps, so enlighten me. Any suggestion is appreciated!

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 8
Years ago I bought 4 SMSL products, at least two of them only worked a short time.

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #4 of 8
  That doesn't sound too promising :xf_eek:

I will admit, a few months ago I bought the SMSL SD-192 Pro DAC, I figured it was such a simple device, not a whole lot could go wrong with it (and it was only $50).
Got SD-192 for my nephews to hook up between the used 55" Samsung TV I gave to them and a pair of 8" studio monitors (which I got for a really good price, on sale).
If the SD-192 stopped working (slight chance) it would not be a big deal with my nephews and I would just buy them another one.

Anyway, I would get a FiiO DAC/amp product over a SMSL DAC/amp.

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #5 of 8

I will admit, a few months ago I bought the SMSL SD-192 Pro DAC, I figured it was such a simple device, not a whole lot could go wrong with it (and it was only 196.02 ₪ ( $50 [USD])).
Got SD-192 for my nephews to hook up between the used 55" Samsung TV I gave to them and a pair of 8" studio monitors (which I got for a really good price, on sale).
If the SD-192 stopped working (slight chance) it would not be a big deal with my nephews and I would just buy them another one.

Anyway, I would get a FiiO DAC/amp product over a SMSL DAC/amp.

That's interesting. I saw a post somewhere around here about a guy complaining that "You should never buy SMSL products" and especially the M2 DAC because apparently it died after 3 days of use. Hopefully I never run into anything like that.
Anyway, your thoughts are encouraging because I've been leaning more to the FiiO even before posting this. So hopefully I'll settle with it.
Much appreciated, PurpleAngel.

Oct 3, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #6 of 8
That's interesting. I saw a post somewhere around here about a guy complaining that "You should never buy SMSL products" and especially the M2 DAC because apparently it died after 3 days of use. Hopefully I never run into anything like that.

Historically, some of their product models have had problems with reliability. Particularly it was obvious with their t-amps that they would put out directly to compete with Topping, who makes reliable ones. SMSL would sell there's a good bit cheaper. I was guessed they were sourcing cheaper parts to be able to undercut Topping or maybe their quality control during production was not as rigorous. Who knows about all their current models, but I personally would not buy any either.

Oct 4, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Historically, some of their product models have had problems with reliability. Particularly it was obvious with their t-amps that they would put out directly to compete with Topping, who makes reliable ones. SMSL would sell there's a good bit cheaper. I was guessed they were sourcing cheaper parts to be able to undercut Topping or maybe their quality control during production was not as rigorous. Who knows about all their current models, but I personally would not buy any either.

Oh wow.. That settles it. Speaking of Topping, I've seen this Amp/Dac called NX2 from Topping of course. So what are your thoughts on it? Currently the FiiO I have in mind is $75 while this TP NX2 is ONLY $27.. That is way cheaper. Considering now the FiiO is three times more pricier is it still worth buying?

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 8
I have not heard the NX2. But based on what I have read, I would guess it probably performance relative to it's price in comparison to the FiiO amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back