Getting an amp and/or DAC for my HD 598's?
Jun 25, 2011 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

evanstapler

New Head-Fier
I just got my 598's and I'm loving them, they sound great. Now I'm thinking about investing in an amp/DAC for them, but I don't know anything about amps and DAC's. I saw in this thread that someone got the uDAC2, would be that be good for these? I see a lot of E9/E7 combo recommendations. I'm hoping not to spend more than $200, maybe $250. Maybe the TubeMagic D1 would be a good choice.

This is my sound card if it matters. I will only be using this from my computer. Should I get both an amp and DAC, or just one of them?

EDIT: Would I even be able to hear a difference?

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 7
Hi!

Congratulations, awesome headphones!!

your soundcard is pretty good. I am not sure that a combined $200 DAC/Amp would create better sound. I somehow doubt that. I would invest in an amp that compliments your headphones. Like the Schiit Asgard who was modelled around Sennheiser Headphones and really makes them sing. It also fits perfectly in your budget of $250....

Cheers,
K

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 7
EDIT: Koolpep is spot on

Quote:
I just got my 598's and I'm loving them, they sound great. Now I'm thinking about investing in an amp/DAC for them, but I don't know anything about amps and DAC's. I saw in this thread that someone got the uDAC2, would be that be good for these? I see a lot of E9/E7 combo recommendations. I'm hoping not to spend more than $200, maybe $250. Maybe the TubeMagic D1 would be a good choice.

This is my sound card if it matters. I will only be using this from my computer. Should I get both an amp and DAC, or just one of them?

EDIT: Would I even be able to hear a difference?

Jun 26, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi!

Congratulations, awesome headphones!!

your soundcard is pretty good. I am not sure that a combined $200 DAC/Amp would create better sound. I somehow doubt that. I would invest in an amp that compliments your headphones. Like the Schiit Asgard who was modelled around Sennheiser Headphones and really makes them sing. It also fits perfectly in your budget of $250....

Cheers,
K

I definitely think I would like the Asgard, it looks great. I was hoping to spend somewhat less than $250, maybe there's something else that would be cheaper and still worth it? I could save up for the Asgard, too. I think it would be worth it.

Any other suggestions/advice?

Jun 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #5 of 7
I have two Little Dots the 1+ and the Mk2 and they work very well with my my two Sennheiser headphones (HD555,380) [size=medium]especially [/size]the mk2. I also have the Denon AHD2000  but like the HD555 much better. I really enjoy Cello playing with the HD555 with the Little Dot mk2. My next pair of headphones more likely will be the pair you have. I also have the Fostex T50RP as well and the Stax on a separate system. At least I offer a idea on something that is a bit cheaper.

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Why don't you buy the Asgard used? I have seen a few being sold here and they sell from $200 and sometimes a bit less, used... It's built like a tank, there is nothing that can break so used is as good as new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back