Getting an AKG 7xx. Now I'm stuck wondering what to do with amplification.
Mar 2, 2015 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kamikaziH2Omln

100+ Head-Fier
The title really highlights the situation that I'm in right now. I currently own a Fiio E07K which pair nicely with my Grado SR-80i to connect to my desktop, along with my phone (LG G3), along with a few other headphones/ in-ears (Heir Audio 3.ai). I was highly considering getting a E09K to compliment my E07K for these guys, but then the idea of using an L7 adapter to have other options really gotten me thinking. 

The thing that really got me to not buy anything right now it a short term lack of funds, but in the nearby future, I was actually taking a good look at pairing the E07K with the Schiit Vali using said L7. My question is whether the upgrade from the E07K alone is justifable in cost to the Vali (about $150 after all cabling is said and done)? Are there any other amps in the said price range (preferably cheaper, as the Vali is towards the ceiling of what I can spend ATM) that I should also consider?

All input is appreciated! Thanks! 
etysmile.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 11
Some people prefer tube sound; some prefer the better accuracy of solid state amps.

Moreover, two things to know about the Vali:

1) You cannot change the tubes. Many people like tube amps so that they can tweak the sound. Not possible with the Vali. If you want a tube amp that you can change the tubes, look into the Little Dot amps.
2) The Vali is not a full tube amp, but rather a hybrid solid state tube amp. So you get some of the tube experience, but not quite the same thing as you might hear when people describe more expensive OTL tube amps.

So my opinion is that if you don't have much experience with hybrid tube headphone amps, then why pay more for something that you might not like better?

Mar 2, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 11
Some people prefer tube sound; some prefer the better accuracy of solid state amps.

Moreover, two things to know about the Vali:

1) You cannot change the tubes. Many people like tube amps so that they can tweak the sound. Not possible with the Vali. If you want a tube amp that you can change the tubes, look into the Little Dot amps.
2) The Vali is not a full tube amp, but rather a hybrid solid state tube amp. So you get some of the tube experience, but not quite the same thing as you might hear when people describe more expensive OTL tube amps.

So my opinion is that if you don't have much experience with hybrid tube headphone amps, then why pay more for something that you might not like better?

Point taken. Didn't know that the subminatures were not replaceable. I did look at the Little Dot MK I and I was considering it, but do you think that the Magni/ Magni II would be a better fit? I was leaning a tad to the Little Dot MK I for it's warmth to a moderately analytic AKG 7xx.

Thanks! 

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 11
Do you mean the Little Dot I+? That's a hybrid solid state tube amp. I would guess the Magni would have more power. Which would sound better? I used to own the Little Dot I+. It's a nice amp, but I prefer solid state over hybrid tube/solid state amps. Some people might make the other choice :)

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 11
idk, i would say try it out with the e07k and see if with the extra gain in the settings, you get enough volume without any amp related artifacts. I have a feeling it will prove to be fine.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 11
Fair enough. One last question though. How much of an improvement do you think that the Magni + L7 would be over just the E07K by itself?

I have the K612 Pro, which are arguably somewhat difficult to drive like the K7XX. The Magni would definitely provide better dynamic headroom at louder volumes. It's just a question of how loud you like to listen :)

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 11
If its not too late Ive paired the akg 7xx with the Vali and the synergy is great. Equally great with 712.

Vali is a special amp and very well regarded which means youll have no trouble selling it for very little loss if you dont enjoy it or later when you upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back