Getting AKG K701 from US to UK
Dec 19, 2005 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Geminist

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, has been browsing around this forum for sometime now and I have this problem and hopefully you guys can help me out ...

I can't really find a proper deal for AKG K701 here in UK so I decided to get it from US (Todd Vinyl) ...

I'm being quoted 309 USD + 25 shipping ...

Now I'm not familar on how do I deal with the VAT here in UK and how much would the VAT be?

Can any experienced member guide me here ??

Thank you very much and wish all of you a happy holiday season
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geminist
Hi guys, has been browsing around this forum for sometime now and I have this problem and hopefully you guys can help me out ...

I can't really find a proper deal for AKG K701 here in UK so I decided to get it from US (Todd Vinyl) ...

I'm being quoted 309 USD + 25 shipping ...

Now I'm not familar on how do I deal with the VAT here in UK and how much would the VAT be?

Can any experienced member guide me here ??

Thank you very much and wish all of you a happy holiday season
smily_headphones1.gif

If you import from the US, you will almost certainly be charged the VAT + a Royal Mail handling fee. The way it usually works is the local post office will drop you a note through the door saying they have them at the local sorting office for you to collect and pay the duty. The reason they do this is that they don't want posties collecting the money at the door - I suspect it's either too much risk to the postie carrying cash around, or risk of postie pocketing the cash for himself.

VAT will obviously be 17.5%, but I can't remember what the handling fee is. But it will certainly be cheaper to import and pay the fees when comparing Todd's prices to local UK prices
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope that helps.

Dec 19, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitaldave
If you import from the US, you will almost certainly be charged the VAT + a Royal Mail handling fee. The way it usually works is the local post office will drop you a note through the door saying they have them at the local sorting office for you to collect and pay the duty. The reason they do this is that they don't want posties collecting the money at the door - I suspect it's either too much risk to the postie carrying cash around, or risk of postie pocketing the cash for himself.

VAT will obviously be 17.5%, but I can't remember what the handling fee is. But it will certainly be cheaper to import and pay the fees when comparing Todd's prices to local UK prices
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope that helps.

Or the risk of the postie not collecting at all,which has happened to me in the past
biggrin.gif

Round my way the postman/woman still collects payment on delivery.

For headphones I think the import tax is 3% then of course there's the fee that Royal mail/Parcelforce add on for collecting on behalf of customs,something like £8-13

If it happens to come via Parcelforce (too large for the regular post or if it was sent USPS express mail) they will send out a letter with the charges on and you then pay by cheque or over the phone with a credit/debit card.They will then deliver next day or another day at your request.

Dec 19, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #7 of 27
From memory the customs duty is 3.5% and this is based on both the unit cost plus shipping. VAT is then charged on all that and then the handling fee is added.

So assuming a USD/GBP rate of 1.77 and an admin fee of £10 added, your UK cost would be around £240.

Steve

I have it all on a spreadsheet as I do it too often
rolleyes.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 27
Wow ... Thank you very much for being so helpful ... I seriously appreciate all the help here
smily_headphones1.gif

I have made up my mind and I will be placing the order with Todd later ...

At least despite all these VATs and tax, it's still cheaper if I get it at US as I really don't see too much places selling K701 here in UK
frown.gif

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks again guys ~!

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 27
Thw whole VAT thing is a bit of a lottery. Sometimes they collect it & sometimes they don't. If they do it is levied on the whole price including the shipping. This would give you a UK delivered price of around of around £240 if you paid $309 + $25 shipping & got taxed. ($1.76 = £1)

Alternatively you could buy from:

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

They would charge 385 euros which is about £262 delivered and all European taxes paid. (1.47 Euro = £1) They are, I think, a sponsor of this site & a favourite place for US members to buy Beyertechnic.

3 choices. - Corrected for mistake noted by Marky Mark below.

Pay in US & tax man doesn't get you - £192
Pay in US and get a knock on the door - £240
Pay in Europe including all taxes - £262

Never simple is it!

PS These are my numbers & should never be relied upon for any purpose whatsoever.

Chris

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #11 of 27
Oh ... Thanks again ...

Now then ... While browsing ... I saw an interesting thing ... The Corda Aria amp ...

I'm not using amp currently and my current HD555 is connected to my 1616m ...

So does getting the Corda Aria worthwhile for 701?

I'm already satisfied with my current HD555 ... It's just that, I'm looking for more soundstage in music ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 27
Just check Meier Audio site - the 335 Euro price is for customers outside the EU, it is 385 inside the EU. So may be better to import from the US!
orphsmile.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #13 of 27
on a down note just talked to todd and most likely none will ship out until after christmas. boo hoo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back