Getting a single-ended tubey sound in a (trans)portable rig - Alo Continental V3 or ???
Oct 24, 2013 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

vkalia

500+ Head-Fier
I travel a lot and my LCD 2/ HE 500s are a bit too bulky to take with me on the road.

I have a pair of Senn Momentums and SE 535s, and am looking to build a high-end transportable solution (around them if possible - am ok buying another headphone if need be).    My main music on this rig would be symphonies and large orchestral works, with dollops of jazz, heavy metal and classic rock thrown in.

I dont need it to work while I am on the go, but I do need it to work when I am sitting down (airports, coffee shops, etc), and am ok carrying it in a backpack.  

Source:  FiiO X3 and iBasso DC50 (if MPNation ever ships it)
Current amps:  FiiO E12, Alo National (en route - ebay purchase)

I am looking for a rich, velvety, full-bodied mids and good dynamics foremost.   Impactful bass second.   I am very sensitive to bright/screetchy treble, so warm/dark is a-ok by me.    My reference for what music should sound like is a 2A3 SET and horn speakers.   

I know I will not get that same magic in a portable rig, but I am looking for something better than the very uninspiring performace of the portable solid state rigs.   The Momentums get a lot of love here as well, and they are nice but a little on the polite side, so I am ok with an upgrade there as well, if need be

I am leaning towards an Alo Continental V3 and possibly a Fidelio X1 as a transportable rig.   The Momentums or SE535s can be used when i need isolation.   

Would the Continental provide me the single-ended-tubey sound I need?    Any other options - Pan Am?  Or is it a lost cause?

TIA!

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #2 of 9
I travel a lot and my LCD 2/ HE 500s are a bit too bulky to take with me on the road.

I have a pair of Senn Momentums and SE 535s, and am looking to build a high-end transportable solution (around them if possible - am ok buying another headphone if need be).    My main music on this rig would be symphonies and large orchestral works, with dollops of jazz, heavy metal and classic rock thrown in.

I dont need it to work while I am on the go, but I do need it to work when I am sitting down (airports, coffee shops, etc), and am ok carrying it in a backpack.  

Source:  FiiO X3 and iBasso DC50 (if MPNation ever ships it)

Current amps:  FiiO E12, Alo National (en route - ebay purchase)

I am looking for a rich, velvety, full-bodied mids and good dynamics foremost.   Impactful bass second.   I am very sensitive to bright/screetchy treble, so warm/dark is a-ok by me.    My reference for what music should sound like is a 2A3 SET and horn speakers.   

I know I will not get that same magic in a portable rig, but I am looking for something better than the very uninspiring performace of the portable solid state rigs.   The Momentums get a lot of love here as well, and they are nice but a little on the polite side, so I am ok with an upgrade there as well, if need be

I am leaning towards an Alo Continental V3 and possibly a Fidelio X1 as a transportable rig.   The Momentums or SE535s can be used when i need isolation.   

Would the Continental provide me the single-ended-tubey sound I need?    Any other options - Pan Am?  Or is it a lost cause?

TIA!

I wish I could hear the X1 with both the Continental and The PanAm… but I'm stuck to reading… The Continental V3 is said to be a terrible pairing with the SE535 but works wonders with the Momentum. I haven't seen anybody talk about the X1 with the Continental but they're said to pair best with the PanAm.

Oct 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #3 of 9
I am going to be in Bangkok next weekend and am going to audition these while there.    Let's see how it goes.

Oct 27, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 9
I am going to be in Bangkok next weekend and am going to audition these while there.    Let's see how it goes.

Do post your impressions!!! Good luck!!

Oct 27, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 9
^^ Will do.

Dec 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #6 of 9
I just realized that I'm still subscribed to this thread. How's the Continental doing for you?

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #7 of 9
I auditioned the Conti V3 next to a Pan Am, and actually thought the two were quite close.   Close enough that I bought the V3.  I have it set up with an iPod Classic 160GB feeding all ALACs via a CLAS -R.  

I have to say, I really love that sound.   The first adjective that comes to mind is "punchy" and "dynamic" (I dont run my orthos off it, but I do run my X1 and W1000s).    The treble is not as warm as I'd prefer ideally, but it isnt bright either.    The mids seem a little more fleshed out than they do with solid states, but it isnt that rich, creamy single-ended sound either.   That's ok - I've realized this is as close as i am going to get to it without a couple of big honking transformers.

This combo beats the pants off my DX50/National combo.   If only that 3-stacker was a little easier to travel with  :)

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 9
  I auditioned the Conti V3 next to a Pan Am, and actually thought the two were quite close.   Close enough that I bought the V3.  I have it set up with an iPod Classic 160GB feeding all ALACs via a CLAS -R.  

I have to say, I really love that sound.   The first adjective that comes to mind is "punchy" and "dynamic" (I dont run my orthos off it, but I do run my X1 and W1000s).    The treble is not as warm as I'd prefer ideally, but it isnt bright either.    The mids seem a little more fleshed out than they do with solid states, but it isnt that rich, creamy single-ended sound either.   That's ok - I've realized this is as close as i am going to get to it without a couple of big honking transformers.

This combo beats the pants off my DX50/National combo.   If only that 3-stacker was a little easier to travel with  :)

I'm still looking for a good portable AMP(/DAC) for my L2… I was thinking either the International or the Conti V3 and now the C5D… so much good contenders recently. Thanks for the input. Your opinion means a lot!!!

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 9

I'm still looking for a good portable AMP(/DAC) for my L2… I was thinking either the International or the Conti V3 and now the C5D… so much good contenders recently. Thanks for the input. Your opinion means a lot!!!

You're very welcome - good luck with your purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back