Getting a pair of Grado's need suggestion
Apr 27, 2003 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

SptsNaz

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey i'm thinking of getting either the grado rs 80 or the rs 125. Which is better anyway???

Also the main thing I want to ask is how much of an improvement in sound will I notice from these babies as opposed to some cheap 30$ Aiwa headphones. Range between 0-1000% in terms of overall sound reproduction.

Curious!!!!
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Thanks in advance

Apr 27, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 32
First thing's first, please use the SEARCH function. The grado prestige series and the differences among models have been discussed MANY times here.

Obviously the 125 will be better than the 80s, demonstrating the same impact-ful bass, bumped up midrange and somewhat harsh/cold highs, making it perfect for rock based music. The 125s have slightly better detail and soundstage, but the differences are very subtle. For the price of a new 125 however, I'd rather save up a tiny bit more and go on ebay for the 225's. THe SR80s are still the best bang for the buck used or new imo.

Any Grado will make those aiwa's sound like crap, guaranteed, unless your source is pathetic or something. Also, note the the higher-end Grados will only sound great only if your equipment is decent enough, otherwise you might as well stick with the sr60/80 route, and even the 80s need a bit amplification to make it shine. Don't expect to travel around with Grados either, they leak like crazy and ppl will hate you.

Apr 27, 2003 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 32
I don't own either, but the people here who have tried many different Grado cans have stated that the 225 is an incredible sounding set of cans. Better than the 125 or 325 by most accounts, and a bit cheaper also.

Apr 27, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 32
what will you be running these out of anyway? If it's a modern day PCDP or your sound card output, don't even bother with the SR125 and above, you won't hear the difference from them and the 80s.

Apr 27, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 32
I dont have much good or expensive sources. I only have a decent Panasonic cd player, a 150$ sony portable cd player, and a Audigy Gamer sound card in my comp.

I know an amp would be better but I just don';t have hundreds of dollars at the timel; maybe later.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by soupy
what will you be running these out of anyway? If it's a modern day PCDP or your sound card output, don't even bother with the SR125 and above, you won't hear the difference from them and the 80s.

Well, I only use the sound card of my Dell laptop, but when I upgraded from SR-80 to the SR-325, the difference is like night and day. I can now hear a lot more detail and wider soundstage.

Apr 27, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 32
As someone here (including myself) always seems to say- consider the MS1's. $10 more than the sr-80's. Can split the difference of your original post.

Apr 27, 2003 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Well, I only use the sound card of my Dell laptop, but when I upgraded from SR-80 to the SR-325, the difference is like night and day. I can now hear a lot more detail and wider soundstage.

of course you'll hear a difference, with a jump from the 80s to the 325s, but my point is you're not tapping into its full potential (i have the same issue with my 80s and my RS1s, sure the rs1 sounds better on my rig, but I am totally not getting what I should be getting out of them.)

The MS1's are also a great choice, if you prefer a sound that reduces the grado color. In the mean time, i give up..just search
redface.gif

Apr 27, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 32
I had SR-80's and upgraded to Sr-325's, listening to everything from metal to classical. Sources included soundcard, nexII player, MG head, creek OBH-11, awai pcdp, homebrew SS amps.

I feel, in my opinion, the 80's were marginally better than the 325's. I love the finished aluminum and leather headband, but for the price difference can't really say that I 'hear' the difference.

BTW, I picked up the SR-80's lightly used for $65.00, and the SR-325's brand new for $200.00. So definately do some shopping around.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back