Getting a new turntable
Jul 24, 2002 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Well, the time has come for me to upgrade my turntable. My budget is sub-325$ I've been looking mostly on the used market for systemdek's and the like. Last week, a 300$ used music hall MMF-5 sliped through my grasp, so I am keeping an keen eye out for good deals. I've heard many good things about sumiko/pro-ject turntables. I might even go the vintage route and get a thorens 124 with an SME 3009. Has anyone here tried those vintage hydraulic transcription turntables? Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Jul 24, 2002 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 9
lol...that is a sweet turntable. If I ever do get a denon...i'd get one of the DP-2000/DP-1100/DP-XXXX models. The only downsize is the fact that they are so huge. I heard the denon tables go well with the tonearms that stax used to make.

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 9
Tube Roller is On The Case

Tim,You can't go wrong with the MusicHall Tables,also keep the Sumiko tables in mind.I have a few old Thorens tables that I use and they are indeed great.Parts are getting difficult to find and they are not really that easy to set up.They have more of a "vintage" sound and force the listener to endure some backround noise and slight pitch variations.If you really wish to get the best from Vinyl I would strongly suggest a modern table.Please buy locally if possible.I really would like to see more people support their local audio dealers.I'm glad you are looking for a new table and if you need help feel free to pm or email me.

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Tube Roller is On The Case

Tim,You can't go wrong with the MusicHall Tables,also keep the Sumiko tables in mind.I have a few old Thorens tables that I use and they are indeed great.Parts are getting difficult to find and they are not really that easy to set up.They have more of a "vintage" sound and force the listener to endure some backround noise and slight pitch variations.If you really wish to get the best from Vinyl I would strongly suggest a modern table.Please buy locally if possible.I really would like to see more people support their local audio dealers.I'm glad you are looking for a new table and if you need help feel free to pm or email me.

Yeah...I think modern is the way to go. I would buy at audio concepts...but they don't carry turntables...all the good dealers are in LA...which is hard to get to, since I don't have a car.

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 9
I'm sorry about the local dealer problem Tim.If you email me I can at the very least give you more detailed advice.

Jul 26, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 9
I'll email you tonight Tuberoller....

I've been seriously considering getting a second hand Pro-Ject 1.2 (2 if price allows) Is it true that they are pretty much the same as music hall turntables? I wish I could compare these side-by-side.

Jul 26, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #8 of 9
When I did turntable research a couple of months ago, I believe the Pro-ject tables aren't available widely in the States yet. They're distributed by sumiko...but it's hard to find a catalog here with those tables listed...

let me know if i'm off-base.

Jul 27, 2002 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by PianoBlack
When I did turntable research a couple of months ago, I believe the Pro-ject tables aren't available widely in the States yet. They're distributed by sumiko...but it's hard to find a catalog here with those tables listed...

let me know if i'm off-base.

There are 6 different Sumiko turntables at:

www.needledoctor.com

BTW, I love the headline in your signature. I first heard that on an old Cheers episode and it still makes me laugh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back