Getting a new rig, need help picking amps / Over-ear headphones. Mostly listen to metal / alternative.
Jan 4, 2014 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Drazalas

100+ Head-Fier
Hello there! I started using higher-end headphones a couple years ago but now I wanna get serious. I thought about buying an AMP(home use, or perhaps a badass sound card for my computer?) and new headphones.(My SRH 940 are dying, makes me sad !) I've been lurking for quite a while so I thought I'd ask your opinion! Budget is around 1000. If you have more questions, ask away! Thanks.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 35
Open or Closed back? What kind of music do you usually listen to? Do you want something similar to your 940s in terms of sound signature?

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 35
Open or back doesn't really matter as i'll be using them from my home, i have a slight preference on closed though. I mostly listen to metal, altenative, classic rock. I liked the sound of the 940 a lot but i'm willing to try something new!

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 35
There are many possibilities. You could get a basic Stax system. Or an he-4 and a speaker amp like the emotiva mini x. Perhaps a th600 for some kick ass bass... The list goes on

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 35
There are many possibilities. You could get a basic Stax system. Or an he-4 and a speaker amp like the emotiva mini x. Perhaps a th600 for some kick ass bass... The list goes on

I've done some research on the mini x, apparently this little thing kicks ass for it's price. I know the list is pretty long but since I'll be investing quite a good amount of money into that setup, I wanna see what others think/use before I make an important decision.

Jan 5, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 35
Of course. If you can be a bit more specific in what you want and what you listen to, we can help you better.

Jan 5, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 35
Of course. If you can be a bit more specific in what you want and what you listen to, we can help you better.

I want something that's not too bassy(I still want good bass, nothing overwhelming), already mentioned what I listen to the most, metal, alternative and classic rock. As far as what I WANT, I don't really know anything about amps. As for headphones, I've been looking at Denon D-2k, D-5k, Beyerdynamic t5p, ATH-W1000X.

Jan 5, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 35
I love my HE-400 for all of those genres, actually every genre I've listened to has been amazing. Planar Magnetic headphones rock! I know these are well below budget, and you might look into some LCD-2 for higher end, or HE-500/ HE-4/HE-5 for some other options for more money. I own the D2k, and I have put my D2k pads on my HE-400's. The D2K's are awesome headphones for sure, but I enjoy the HE-400's far more. Everything from bass, mids and hi's are great to me...though I do EQ my headphones. The HE-400's respond very nicely to EQ-ing. I'm glad I researched and took the dive, might be worth looking into yourself. There are some used HE-400's for sale in the B/S/T seciton, and I got my pair for $319 shipped new with free extra velour pads. Worth every damn penny IMHO, at least to my ears. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #10 of 35
  I love my HE-400 for all of those genres, actually every genre I've listened to has been amazing. Planar Magnetic headphones rock! I know these are well below budget, and you might look into some LCD-2 for higher end, or HE-500/ HE-4/HE-5 for some other options for more money. I own the D2k, and I have put my D2k pads on my HE-400's. The D2K's are awesome headphones for sure, but I enjoy the HE-400's far more. Everything from bass, mids and hi's are great to me...though I do EQ my headphones. The HE-400's respond very nicely to EQ-ing. I'm glad I researched and took the dive, might be worth looking into yourself. There are some used HE-400's for sale in the B/S/T seciton, and I got my pair for $319 shipped new with free extra velour pads. Worth every damn penny IMHO, at least to my ears. 

I've heard about how good the HE-400 are and apparently found that the Mad dog (I'm looking at the alpha dog right now though...) are almost twins. I might check those out.

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 35
Still stand by my recommendations then... The alpha dogs as well, yeah

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 35
I was strongly considering the Mad Dog...as I prefer a closed back. I listened to a couple of friends on various forums and did a lot of research and then when I had decided to go with the HE-400 instead I found a deal for $319 shipped with an extra set of velour pads for free too. The HE-400's have larger drivers, and sound amazing. I have read so many good things about the Mad Dogs though they are definitely worth a serious look! Modded Fostex HP's are a huge thing right now. Like I said I almost went with them. The biggest thing was I was searching for a closed back phone...but I sure am glad I listened to those folks that were telling me to go with the HE-400. 0 regrets. Cheers!

Here's some reading material from the "Battle of the Flagships" thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

Jan 5, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 35
  I was strongly considering the Mad Dog...as I prefer a closed back. I listened to a couple of friends on various forums and did a lot of research and then when I had decided to go with the HE-400 instead I found a deal for $319 shipped with an extra set of velour pads for free too. The HE-400's have larger drivers, and sound amazing. I have read so many good things about the Mad Dogs though they are definitely worth a serious look! Modded Fostex HP's are a huge thing right now. Like I said I almost went with them. The biggest thing was I was searching for a closed back phone...but I sure am glad I listened to those folks that were telling me to go with the HE-400. 0 regrets. Cheers!

Here's some reading material from the "Battle of the Flagships" thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

Still stand by my recommendations then... The alpha dogs as well, yeah

Thanks a bunch to both of you, I found a friend of a friend that has quite the collection of headphones including the HE-400, DT-880 etc, I'll be visiting him tomorrow so I'll give you an update then.

Jan 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 35
Definitely do so. Auditioning is always the best way to decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back