getting a new harddrive for a laptop vs portable?
Feb 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #16 of 34
How much is it going to cost to replace the LCD? If you need to upgrade all of those components, maybe it would be worth it to consider buying a newer laptop or a used one from a classifieds forum? That's what I'd personally do, as an IDE drive might not be worth much to your next machine and a 2GB RAM will start feeling dated in no time. If you can't afford to do so, I'd get a SATA drive in a mini enclosure (as suggested above) and when you do upgrade your laptop, simply install that in the new machine if you want to.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #17 of 34
To get the same size screen 17inches in a new laptop id be spending over a grand or close to it, the screen my sister is replacing since my nephew stepped on it and cracked it. 145 bucks. 2 gigs of ram ive seen prices about 60 bucks or so. Harddrive under 100 bucks so ill have like 160 to 200 bucks in it when all is said and done. I see no point in buying a new one specifically since i have a desktop that i do all my main tasks with this is just a portable source and internet browser while out of town. I dont see 2 gigs holding me back since currently i have firefox open with 5 tabs and safari open with 10 tabs, itunes, bit torrent, and microsoft word open and it says i have 62% ram used on 2gigs this being on my desktop obviously. I have a great processor on here but i think 2 gigs will be fine for what im gonna be doing on my laptop.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #18 of 34
to replace your HDD you will need a bootable Windows Operation Disk of the window that match the current windows in your old hard drive, I don't trust recovery disk but that may work too. you will need a disk with all the hardware drivers and utilities for your laptop (either come with the computer or the driver and utilities can be download from the manufacturer's site and keep them in a cd or usb drive). under the laptop there should be the license key for your current version of windows, you need to make sure that so Microsoft will consider your installation legal.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #19 of 34
So that's probably going to be close to $300 for the upgrades. I just saw a 17" LED laptop advertised at walmart for $398 after cashback with the following specs:

Specifications:
Intel Pentium Processor T4400 2.20 GHz
3072 MB DDR2 667 MHz
320 GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive
8X DVD Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
17.3 HD+ widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit display
1600x900 resolution
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

The reason I say get a new laptop is because at least 3 years down the road from now, if you find yourself in a similar position to where you are today (say you want more RAM, more HDD space, etc.) at least you'll have the option to do so. Putting $300 into a machine that can't be further expanded isn't the best decision, IMO. Then again, if the laptop is being used portably, is 17" needed? I've seen new 15" laptops go for just over $300 at slickdeals.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So that's probably going to be close to $300 for the upgrades. I just saw a 17" LED laptop advertised at walmart for $398 after cashback with the following specs:

Specifications:
Intel Pentium Processor T4400 2.20 GHz
3072 MB DDR2 667 MHz
320 GB 5400RPM SATA hard drive
8X DVD Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
17.3 HD+ widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit display
1600x900 resolution
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M

The reason I say get a new laptop is because at least 3 years down the road from now, if you find yourself in a similar position to where you are today (say you want more RAM, more HDD space, etc.) at least you'll have the option to do so. Putting $300 into a machine that can't be further expanded isn't the best decision, IMO.

Well im not just going to throw this laptop away its still really nice. I need a new screen in it if im going to pass it on to say my nephew as he gets older, or sell it for a few bucks. there for there will have to be 145 bucks spent. My sister is paying for that. So i will be putting around 160 in the laptop. I dont mind spending the money on it for the purpose that im going to be using it for.
That is a great deal at walmart you found. The more you talk about this maybe i will just get a portable harddrive so that i can take it with me and its not to be used only on this laptop for down the road as you mentioned.

Back on topic have any recommendations for Ram lol?

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hsiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to replace your HDD you will need a bootable Windows Operation Disk of the window that match the current windows in your old hard drive, I don't trust recovery disk but that may work too. you will need a disk with all the hardware drivers and utilities for your laptop (either come with the computer or the driver and utilities can be download from the manufacturer's site and keep them in a cd or usb drive). under the laptop there should be the license key for your current version of windows, you need to make sure that so Microsoft will consider your installation legal.

Ok cool I dont think i can find that cd so ill try and get it offline thanks for the tips and explanations.

Oh and post #500 :0) woot

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #22 of 34
The RAM is probably going to be more expensive than anticipated as it's using PC2700 SODIMM, which isn't cheap, especially since you'd need two of them. I'm thinking you're probably going to have to spend at least $90 after taxes and shipping for the upgrade. This one looks pretty good, you'd need two sticks and the existing one would have to be removed to accommodate the second. That's pretty decent, though, I've seen a lot more expensive PC2700 modules in the past.

Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Laptop Memory Model KVR333SO/1GR - Laptop Memory

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

The RAM is probably going to be more expensive than anticipated as it's using PC2700 SODIMM, which isn't cheap, especially since you'd need two of them. I'm thinking you're probably going to have to spend at least $90 after taxes and shipping for the upgrade. This one looks pretty good, you'd need two sticks and the existing one would have to be removed to accommodate the second. That's pretty decent, though, I've seen a lot more expensive PC2700 modules in the past.

Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Laptop Memory Model KVR333SO/1GR - Laptop Memory

See i would have bought the wrong one again haha i just never understand some of these terms i guess. Thanks for the link. Little higher then i thought but not too bad.
Another reason im doing this is i dont have 400 bucks right off the bat to drop on a new laptop, but i can spend 40 to 100 bucks here and there, when i get done it should be solid and more then adequate for what i need it for.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #24 of 34
OT - Zwole, are you an OKC Thunder fan by any chance or more of a Sooners guy? Kevin Durant is my favourite basketball player, would love to have the chance to see him live...

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

OT - Zwole, are you an OKC Thunder fan by any chance or more of a Sooners guy? Kevin Durant is my favourite basketball player, would love to have the chance to see him live...

Im a pretty big Thunder fan sadly ive only been to a few of them this year. As a HUGE Sooner fan im actually a big Durant fan too lol imagine that. If you ever decide to come down and catch a game let me know i can let you know on some ways to save money or good places to hit up. The atmosphere here really is great. Its just the weather that can get you lol, tornados one day, snow and 0 degrees one, then a couple months later 105 lol.

BTW is your avy from Fringe or another show? Its a great show catch it every week.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #26 of 34
I have a friend that lives on campus in Norman and we talk regularly about OK. We're both KU Jayhawks fans, haha. I keep telling him to go to the city to watch the Thunder, that team is on the rise! My avatar is actually from HBO's The Wire.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

I have a friend that lives on campus in Norman and we talk regularly about OK. We're both KU Jayhawks fans, haha. I keep telling him to go to the city to watch the Thunder, that team is on the rise! My avatar is actually from HBO's The Wire.

Thats awesome OU is a great campus really like it there. Its a great experience Oklahoma fans have really been great with the thunder. We had a little practice with the Hornets lol. Yes they are going to be an awesome team in the next few years keep adding great additions and slowly getting better.

Ahh same guy different show lol.

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #28 of 34
If you're swapping out the hard drive, you need something to boot the machine since your operating system will be on the old hard drive. This usually means you need an install cd, a recovery disk, or some method of ghosting the contents of your old hard drive over to the new one.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #29 of 34
^ ok makes since now that you explained it that way. Can you do this online and burn it? I dont think i have the disk to the computer
frown.gif
. I guess i can go portable drive if i have to though.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #30 of 34
I was in the same situation a few months ago. I wanted to upgrade my laptop hard drive, but I didn't have an install or recovery disk. After looking at the cost of a new laptop, plus external enclosure and the hassle of finding some ghosting software, I just opted to spend a couple hundred more bucks and bought a laptop that was on sale and have now transferred my old laptop to my workplace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back