Getting a more musical and warm sound
Jun 3, 2015 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hbuus

Head-Fier
My Sennheiser HD 600 headphones have a very clean, neutral and balanced sound, however recently I've started thinking they sound a bit _too_ nice.

Can I use some kind of software to get a more musical and warm sound, like in the NAD VISO HP50 and B&W P7 headphones?

All help is appreciated as it could maybe save me from having to buy a new pair of headphones.

Btw. I'm using Windows 7 Prof. 64 bit.

Thanks.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 7
Have you tried EQ with a media player like Foobar? Warmth is a characteristic of more low end in relation to the mids and highs.

Jun 4, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 7
One tip: once you have figured out what frequencies to boost, the best practice is generally to pull down the other frequencies, rather than boosting the signal above zero. I hope that makes sense :)

Jun 5, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 7
If you're using an iOS device as a music server, you can use Accudio - it has preset EQ profiles for many headphones to mimic the tonal balance of other headphones. You can simulate the LCD-2 or HD650 tonal balance on the HD600 for example.

That, or...are your HD600s new and with new earpads? You need to break them in so they sound a bit warmer. Brand new earpads and more so if you do the headband bending mod to relax the clamp make for an HD600 that tonally at least are a lot closer  to the HD800.

Jun 6, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 7
One tip: once you have figured out what frequencies to boost, the best practice is generally to pull down the other frequencies, rather than boosting the signal above zero. I hope that makes sense
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! It makes perfect sense :)

I'm having some closed headphones home for testing atm. (B&W P7, PSB M4U2, Denon MM400).
Adding to this I just received a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 over-ear, which I have bought with a 14 days return right.

Testing these headphones has made me realize just how good the Sennheiser HD 600 actually sound.
It's not an entirely fair comparison though as the HD 600 are open headphones while the others are closed, but still: The HD 600 really is one exceptionally well-sounding headphone.
Not sure that it needs any EQ at all actually but then again, it can't hurt to try.

Btw. too bad the HD 600 doesn't have B&W P7's isolation vs. outside noise but you can't have it all, I guess :)

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 7

If you're using an iOS device as a music server, you can use Accudio - it has preset EQ profiles for many headphones to mimic the tonal balance of other headphones. You can simulate the LCD-2 or HD650 tonal balance on the HD600 for example.

That, or...are your HD600s new and with new earpads? You need to break them in so they sound a bit warmer. Brand new earpads and more so if you do the headband bending mod to relax the clamp make for an HD600 that tonally at least are a lot closer  to the HD800.

That looks interesting, I'll check it out tomorrow when I have more time.
Thanks for the link.

The HD600 were broken in long ago btw., I bought them back in 2007 :)
I actually had the headband replaced with - I think - that of the HD650 as the default headband was way too tight.
The new one is much better.
I've never heard the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back